Running applications built on Silverlight in Google Chrome

07-16-2018 12:39 AM
eyadghatasheh
New Contributor III

Dears

I am running our Portal for ArcGIS using Google Chrome. I've added one web map application that is using silverlight technology to the home page content as shown in the snapshot (Mareked in red) . once I click on that app; it opens another choogle chrome session which not support silverlight anymore.

The question is: how can I open Internet explore instead of google chrome to utilize that application?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Is Chrome your default browser? I would only expect a custom plugin would let you open a popup in IE from a page open in Chrome.

I realize "recreate the app" is easier said than done, but honestly, that's your best option. From what I gather from Microsoft's lifecycle information on Silverlight, the latest version of Silverlight, (5), isn't even supported in Microsoft's own browser, Edge:

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/locale/en-us/html/installation-win-SL5.html

0 Kudos
eyadghatasheh
New Contributor III

Thanks Jonathan; as you said its not easy as its related to time and cost.

when you said "custom plugin"; did you mean this plugin is available or we have to develop it? if its available; it will be a relief.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

A quick search of "chrome open new tab in IE" returns a few plugins, not sure how well they fit into your use case though but you can check them out:

IE Tab - Chrome Web Store 

Open in IE - Chrome Web Store 

I'll reiterate that it may be best to transition to Javascript. You can easily create a web application using the Web Application Builder that has most if not all functionality in custom, legacy applications, all through a builder-like experience.