Publishing ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service

Jump to solution
07-20-2023 07:16 AM
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

I have been trying to publish a web feature layer for the last 24hours and I can not get ArcGIS Pro to publish it as a feature layer without failing, I have been able to publish it a vector tile layer but that does let users gain access to the attributes of the file which is very import.  I have looked up the error and it's a generic one but I have tried all the solutions and none of them have worked. I should add that the version of ArcGIS Server is 10.6

I have also tried to use the Reference registered data with "map image and Feature" selected the analyze gives me the message that the layers data source must be registered with the server, when I try this and provide the connection details, which I figure is just the datastore name it needs it says this folder doesn't exist, or I will get the datastore name already exists... So it's kind of confusing.

KThomasson_2-1689862501172.png

KThomasson_1-1689862415806.png

I have done the routine starting and stopping of the services and even rebooted the server to clear out any issues I have validated all datastores and corresponding folders.  I am not sure what I am missing something important in this process that is preventing me from publishing this layer?  I have provided a log of the failed publishing and a screen shot of the how it is setup from ArcGIS Pro.

KThomasson_0-1689861158140.png

any additional guidance or help with what I might be missing or if there is another place I should look at for permissions for data stores and its corresponding folders would be helpful.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

You need to run command prompt as administrator.  If you can’t then you’ll need a sys admin to do it

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm assuming you're publishing from a file geodatabase?  It looks like it's on the D:\ of the ArcGIS Pro machine.  Is ArcGIS Pro installed on the same machine as the Server?  If not then the server will almost certainly not be able to read from the 😧 of your workstation.  

1369 errors generally mean that the server cannot communicate with the source data.  Issues like:

• firewall not open between server and database
  • database drivers not installed or the wrong version
  • permissions aren't set for the ArcGIS Server service account to read from SQL
  • a UNC path is used for file geodatabase, but the Server doesn't have folder permissions, or there's a firewall

1369's are really interesting beasts, because it's usually to do with IT, SysAdmins or Infrastructure Architects rather than the pure GIS community.  

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the clues, I will take a look and consult with our system admin about the firewall, but the weird thing is that I can publish the same layer to a vector tile and Map image with no issues.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

The 1369 is normally experienced when publishing a map image layer. 

If you copy to a MIL then you package the file geodatabase and send it to the Server and it becomes a copy of the file geodatabase, so no edits are reflected.

If you reference a MIL then the server must be able to read from the file geodatabase you created the map from.  If it's on the 😧 of your workstation then Server may (will) not be able to see it.

If you're trying to create a referenced Feature Layer, then a file geodatabase isn't really supported.  A Feature Service has a dependency on a database like SQL Server, you can use Query Layers or a feature class in an Enterprise Geodatabase.

If you're trying to create a copied Feature Service to the hosting server then you're sending all the data from your file geodatabase to a managed database (simply) inside ArcGIS Enterprise.  If your Enterprise validates, then you won't get a 1369 error.

It's hard to work out from the screen grab which ones of those are working/not working for you.  can you expand please?

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

Scott, I have one more question, do you think that this is happening is because the portal is using ArcGIS server 10.6 and I am running ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2?

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

Nevermind, I installed ArcGIS Pro 2.2 on a VM and it still didn't want to publish a feature layer.

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

Scott,

Sorry I was maybe to vague, I am trying to create a complete copied feature service layer from the data in the fgdb to the hosting server where I am sending all the data from the fgdb to the managed database, I have successfully done this with Vector Tile and the Map Image options, but when I try to do it with the Feature Layer type it fails and yes all of the managed data bases do validate I have checked inside of ArcGIS Pro and on the ArcGIS server itself to make sure the Validation of those databases are successful.  I am not sure what the next steps I should take?

0 Kudos
ScottTansley3
New Contributor III

f

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

okay, that narrows it down a long way.  thank you.  So, the map image layer and vector tile cache are red-herrings.  A vector tile cache sits in a folder not in the Data Store.  The MIL packages, copies and publishes from a folder on the server that is managed, and all the permissions are good.  So different technology levels in play. 

So the fact that you have a data store that validates and you can't publish to it brings it down to an esri support call I think.  If you can publish/have published other layers to the data store and it's all working then it's layer specific.

But before you do that can you got to the machine with the data store and run a command line?  You need to navigate to the data store install folder, e.g.:

C:\program files\arcgis\datastore\tools (or wherever it was installed)

the run the describedatastore command line.  Send a screen grab, but obfuscate any server/file share info.  I'm wanting to know if it's in readwrite mode.  It could still validated but be in readonly.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

I get an error as shown in the screen grab

KThomasson_0-1689976295299.png

0 Kudos