Portal not reading correct Excel field names and field types when trying to add Item

Jump to solution
04-07-2022 04:29 AM
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

i am trying to add an excel file  and create feature layer using the add item button on enterprise portal. the excel file is attached below. whenever i try to add it, the field names  and field types are not read correctly and displays field names as "field1","field2" and so on. if i add the same file in arcgispro, using add data button, then it displays correctly. However when i change my columns to strings then it works fine in portal. is there a way i can make it work without changing my field names into string?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@RehanChaudhary 

Yes, you are correct in your statement.  Inside ArcGIS Pro , right-click on the converted table and choose display x,y data and then use that instance to export a feature class.

Amanda Bishop, GISP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Rehan,

Try exporting your excel tables into a file geodatabase first then use those tables to add the item.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

@ABishop actually my final goal is to publish feature layers from the excel sheets. i am able to do that with other sheets which do not have the issue mentioned above. Your solution works but it just creates hosted tables which is not what i want. is there another alternative that you can suggest?
I am thinking of first converting the sheets into XY data and then converting them into feature classes but i am not sure if that is the best workflow.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@RehanChaudhary 

Would you mind sharing your excel spreadsheet with me?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

@ABishop i have already attached with the question but here its again

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@RehanChaudhary 

Yes, you are correct in your statement.  Inside ArcGIS Pro , right-click on the converted table and choose display x,y data and then use that instance to export a feature class.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos