Portal Missing Map Tab

04-30-2021 02:57 PM
Labels (1)
babarsac
New Contributor III

We have a new ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 stack that we have set up. Everything is licensed, there is a hosting server set, Datastore, and I've got a few users spun up. The only issue is that my Map tab is missing.

Yes...it's completely missing 😕

I've set up a few Enterprise stacks in the past but have never seen this behavior before.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Portal_Tabs.PNG

GIS Discord Channel
https://disboard.org/server/769917190182404127
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this a Single-machine or multiple-machine deployment?

1. What happens when you type a similar URL in the browser https://myportal.domain.com/arcgis/home/webmap/viewer.html

2. Are all the required ports allowed through machine and network firewall?

3. Sometimes restarting your ArcGIS Enterprise Machine resolves the issue.

4. You may stop the System services (Run > services.msc) for ArcGIS Data Store, ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS. Open Task Manager to check if the services have stopped completely.

Then Start the Services in the following order.

• Portal for ArcGIS
  • Hosting federated ArcGIS Server
    • Data store
    • Enterprise relational data stores
  • ArcGIS Data Store
  • Other ArcGIS Server sites (if any)

Since the ArcGIS Server site is already federated and designated as a hosting server, I am not suggesting anything else than contacting Esri Tech Support.

Think Location
0 Kudos
babarsac
New Contributor III

Figured it out. Users with and 'Advanced' license cannot see the map.

GIS Discord Channel
https://disboard.org/server/769917190182404127
0 Kudos
MichaelMannion
New Contributor III

[Update 2022-09-29]

I was able to allow my portaladmin user to see the Map tab by doing either of two things:

• Assign the Add-on license of Essential Apps
  • Change the User type to something that includes the Essential Apps app bundle

I still don't understand Portal licensing well enough to explain or recommend a solution with confidence, but here are a few additional things that I learned from reading the doc and testing:

• I think it's the case that:
    • User type determines which apps you can use (e.g. map viewer, ArcGIS Pro)
    • Role determines what portal permissions you have (e.g. read, edit, publish)

If this is correct, it makes sense that the initial administrator has the Advanced user type and Administrator role - this allows them full permissions to manage the portal, without consuming any potentially costly app licenses (the Advanced role only includes the Organization Website "application" [per portal UI] or "administrative privilege" [per doc] which I don't think requires a separate paid license).

Accordingly:

• I can safely change the user type to something other than Advanced without removing the initial administrator's ability to manage the portal

There are some dependencies between user types and roles, in that you can't arbitrarily assign any role to any user type. For example, I can't assign a user the Basic user type and the Administrator role. Among the compatible user types / roles, however, the two settings seem to be independent - I can assign any allowable user type to my portaladmin user, and they can still manage the portal as long as I keep the Administrator role.

Realistically, I should probably keep portaladmin as Advanced/Administrator, and create a separate user for viewing maps. I just created this deployment for a quick test, though, and was trying to do everything as portaladmin. It wasn't as quick as I had hoped, but it did make for a good learning experience.

----------

[Original]

"Users with and 'Advanced' license cannot see the map."

• Is this intentional?

I'm observing the same thing on my new, stock, empty ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 base deployment. My initial administrator (portaladmin) was set to the Advanced user type, and cannot use the WebMap Viewer app; I'm not sure whether I set the user type explicitly, or if that's the default. If I switch it to Creator, for example, the Map tab appears.

The Portal UI states that that the Advanced user type is: "Compatible with all roles and licenses"

MichaelMannion_1-1663864583483.png

If I'm reading the doc correctly, it doesn't discuss this Advanced user type. I'd like to make an informed decision about whether to change this user's type and, if so, to which other type. I'd appreciate any guidance or references to relevant doc. Thanks!