Select to view content in your preferred language

Portal: missing basemaps when creating a map or app

02-11-2016 02:13 PM
AaronDorsey1
Occasional Contributor

I'm having a problem: when creating a map in Portal (ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1) the basemaps are missing under all circumstances.

Examples:

Portal -> My Content -> Create -> Map -> Basemaps: no basemaps; box is blank/empty

browser Console:

BasemapGalleryGrid: group for basemaps does not exist.

(referenced in https://[servername]/arcgis/home/10.3.1/js/arcgisonline/arcgisonline.js)

Note in the attached image that World_Topo_Map is displayed and working (I see that it is set as the default basemap in arcgisonline.js).

Portal -> My Content -> Create -> App -> Using a Template

Enter name and description, click OK: message "Failed to create the app."

browser Console:

Can't find group by basemapGalleryGroupQuery.

Can't find most-num-views web map.

Can't find most-num-views web map.

I have no problems using the BasemapGallery dojo module when creating a map from scratch using the js API.

Any suggestions as to why Portal isn't finding GalleryGrid and GalleryGroupQuery?  It (arcgisonline.js) is minified so it's impossible to read.

Portal seems half-baked, but I would at least like to try it out.  Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MichaelRobb
Honored Contributor

Upgraded H.A.  Active/passive Portal through NLB to 10.5.1... 

Basemaps are no longer available.  This of course, is my suspicion as to why WABde no longer can create new apps to this portal either.   In Portal, attempting to add a basemap, just has the loading screen... eventually just disappears.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

So our issue was a failed upgrade, due to me not following the upgrade path for HA environments (i didnt realize it was different)

In the end, i restored the server, dropped the second machine, moved the content directory local to the server, and ran the upgrade.  After that all was well.  I am not sure i will restore the secondary server.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Honored Contributor

How exactly have you determined it was a failed upgrade due to not following upgrade steps?

what exact steps did you miss which caused the failure? 

I assume you have reproduced the issue to say it was due to 'something'.  This also brings up the question of you mention you moved the content directory local.... why?  If you knew you did not follow upgrade steps, why wouldn't you follow them and fix the missed steps you know to get it working as originally intended?  I am a bit confused on this one.

For myself, I followed the H.A. steps outlined by ESRI, and created screen shot documents of the process. The secondary is completely uninstalled, including some manual directory deletes.  Then fresh install... after install, but before Join an Existing Portal, you have to delete the content directory (by default is c:\arcgisportal\content)   etc etc...

The Primary portal, which was upgraded, fails to load basemaps as per my screen shot.

I have doubts the secondary machine has any contribution to this issue as the failure occurs even before adding the Secondary.  I do however question weather the upgrade handles when a) WebContextURL is enabled  b) when the content is on a NAS/SAN (shared).   

I have also done an upgrade (from 10.4 to 10.5.1)  to a single portal instance, in our DEV environment successfully, so that would coincide with your results on a single machine upgrade.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

The step i did not complete was removing the secondary machine prior to upgrading.  

I moved the content directory local to basically ensure that it was a single machine site.  As if it were never HA. I agree it may have been the WebContextURL  or UNC pathing for the directory. I basically wanted to make it as simple as possible.

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Honored Contributor

The specific step of Unregistering the stand-by machine?

ref: Configure a highly available portal—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hmm, well i had done that step...as per my notes:

\

Moving the content to local to ensure a single machine... um ok, yes that is what one would do, but you had HA before. Thus a decision was made to change your corporate architecture? (to avoid the issue?)

My apologies if I mis-read your first post, but it was worded in a way that you knew exactly the cause.  But you had not validated that missing the unregister step(s) that caused the issue at all as you changed your architecture as a fix.

The search for the bug/issue continues...

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm 4 months late, but I just experienced this issue myself and found the solution. You have to reindex your portal to get the basemaps to return. Go to https://portal.domain.com:7443/arcgis/portaladmin/system/indexer/reindex and under Mode, select "Full" from the dropdown, then click the "Reindex" button. This process takes a few minutes, but after that, your basemaps should be back. You should always reindex Portal after an upgrade, or else other wonky things will happen, such as searching for tags in a web map viewer not working.

Source: Upgrade Portal for ArcGIS—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise (if you ctrl-f "reindex" you'll find it's listed as a step in the uprade documentation)