Portal License File Fails to Import after Upgrade

01-04-2021 10:20 AM
Labels (1)
Kathleen_Crombez
Occasional Contributor III

We just upgraded our ArcGIS Enterprise deployment from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1 and are having issues importing the new license file generated in MyESRI.

From the Portal GUI I receive a generic message 'There was an error importing your licenses'.

From the Portal Admin API and from the command line, I receive a more detailed message 'Failed to configure the definition of the appBundles Essential Apps.'

In the Portal logs I see several SEVERE errors that read 'The server at https://machine.domain:7443/arcgis/sharing/rest/portals/configureAppBundle' returned and error. Invalid app Bundle. ["Invalid apps"]

Has anyone ran across a similar issue?

I have tried recreating the license file and i have already ran a repair on the portal installation.

Our deployment consists of the following:

Portal for ArcGISMicrosoft Windows Server 2016 Standard
ArcGIS Server (Hosted)Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard
ArcGIS Data StoreMicrosoft Windows Server 2016 Standard
ArcGIS Server (with Image Server)Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Standard

Thanks,

Kathleen

29 Replies
amnoy_am
New Contributor II

Kathleen,

First of all, verify you have a json file (license file) for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8 and not the previous version.  

Then make sure you clear the browser cache, including cookies.  Load the portaladmin and try importing the license file again.  

Kathleen_Crombez

Thank you.

Yes, the file is a .json and I have tried recreating it several time.

I have already tried to clear the browser cache and cleared the cookies.

I have also tried importing the file from the command line (using run as administrator) which does not use a browser and it fails with the error 'Failed to configure the definition of the appBundles Essential Apps.'

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

When I look at your license.png attachment you've got something going on with 2 different Creator level groups.  Why is that?  Also, are you using Named User licenses or are you using Concurrent Use?

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez

We are using both concurrent and named users.

The different creator groups are due to different licensing types and expiration dates.

The 10 perpetual creators are our concurrent licenses and the 4 that expire are named users that we converted from AGOL.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ok so I'm guessing that having the different creator groups on concurrent and named user didn't cause an issue at 10.7.1?  Because its my guess that portal doesn't know how to allocate the app bundles.  It's like it needs a license file for the concurrent use and one for the named users.  I'd go through support on this one.

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez

Yes. Thank you David.

I spent over 2 hours on the phone with ESRI Tech Support yesterday and they think that the anti-virus software that our IT department installed on all our machines recently interfered with the upgrade process.

Per our support ticket, ERSI concluded the following:

• The Portal logs only referenced that is was unable to process the appbundles contained within the json license
    • No other logs related to functionality
  • We tried running the upgradeportal batch file located in the Portal tools folder
    • The utility completed successfully but said that the Portal has already been initialized

From this point Portal thinks that the upgrade completed successfully but has missed crucial parts of the upgrade.

We have reverted all our systems back to a pre-install state and plan to reattempt the upgrade with the anti-virus disabled in 2 weeks.

Which is a real shame as the entire enterprise upgrade took almost 12 hours to complete from beginning to end.

I will post an update after the second attempt to upgrade (with anti-virus disabled) is complete.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yes Kathleen, I wish I could have been of more help.  Yes, it takes our system about 12 hours to finish as well, especially with a host site, a fed site, relational, tile cache and then the web adaptors.  Its nerve wracking at best because as our system is always live.

Others seem to be having issues going from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1.  I went from 10.7.1 to 10.8 and then 10.8 to 10.8.1 with no trouble, we have basically the same set up as you. That's why I don't think its related to any virus software, as long as the explicit firewall processes are allowed to run and the internal and dynamic TCP ports are open.  But those setting didn't change from 10.7.1 to 10.8.1

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez

David,

Even though I was not able to resolve our issues, I appreciate your comments none the less.

I am curious to hear more about some of the other issues you have seen that people are having with the migration, and if they were able to over come them.

I was not able to get a single search engine hit on the error message we received. But perhaps issues others have experienced may be of help in getting to the bottom of it. (I will do some searches with less specific key words in the ESRI community to see what I come up with, but if you have seen some common issues, please do share.)

Also curious what anti-virus is running on your enterprise servers?

Our IT department installed Cisco AMP on all our servers on Christmas Day and our upgrade was attempted on New Years Day. So we haven't really had much time to determine if the anti-virus had any adverse effects on the enterprise deployment.

I sure hope I don't need to do a double upgrade like you did in order to get this done. We are trying to migrate our parcel fabric from Desktop to Pro so it is pretty important we get this upgrade done before we start mapping 2021 parcel changes.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Kathleen_Crombez

I thought I might also mention (not sure if it is relevant or not) but we have portal collaboration set up with 2 ArcGIS Online accounts.

0 Kudos