Portal for ArcGIS - Basemap Thumbnails Not Displaying

Jump to solution
07-08-2015 11:22 AM
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Anyone experiencing that the thumbnails for the default basemap gallery do not display (Portal for ArcGIS 10.3 newly installed)? There is a screen shot below where you can see that some display while others do not. This occurs when viewing in multiple different browsers and the Collector app. I placed a ticket with Esri and they had not seen it before and are working on it. I wondered if others had experienced it and know a solution? I tried to manually assign a thumbnail to the basemap details page but because it is Esri content assigning a thumbnail is not available as an option. Any ideas where these thumbnails reside on the server, if I knew the location I would test out placing the thumbnail there assuming I got the naming convention correctly. 

MIssing Thumbnails.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Ben,

So you're able to click on the white space and select whichever basemap should be listed there?  That seems strange.  Can you run Fiddler while opening the Select a Basemap dialog window?  You should see requests to the thumbnails.  If there are any error codes in the requests to the thumbnails, then that's why they don't show up, and it'll be important to know what those errors are.

Ex.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Ben,

So you're able to click on the white space and select whichever basemap should be listed there?  That seems strange.  Can you run Fiddler while opening the Select a Basemap dialog window?  You should see requests to the thumbnails.  If there are any error codes in the requests to the thumbnails, then that's why they don't show up, and it'll be important to know what those errors are.

Ex.

BenGrod

Jonathan, thanks for the tip. I did exactly what you suggested and was able to identify that Portal was searching for a thumbnail image that no longer existed. We installed Portal 10.3 then upgraded to 10.3.1 and in the upgrade process the call for the images had changed but the images had not. Must have been a slight glitch in the updgrade process. Anyhow Esri Support was able to provide the updated images and correct location to place them. Below are the three thumbnails that changed for us and needed to be updated. If anyone runs into this problem Esri Support is very good resource for the correct image type, names, and locations.

Thumbnail Type and Name Changes

imagery_labels.jpg (10.3)

tempimagery_with_labels_ne_usa.png (10.3.1)

terrain_labels.jpg (10.3)

tempTerrain_with_labels_ne_usa.png (10.3.1)

light_gray_canvas.jpg (10.3)

templight_gray_canvas_with_labels__ne_usa.png (10.3.1)

Thumbnails.png

GregAnspach
New Contributor II

Hey Ben,

We have run into the same issue with the exact same thumbnails.  Where do you put the correct images?

Thanks!

BenGrod

Greg,

Sorry for the late reply. I did not replace the images myself. We put a support ticket in with Esri and they helped us to locate and replace the images. It was easy to replace the images, just over right the file with the exact same name but locating the images was more difficult. The file paths had several coded folders with digits for names (ex 015726229375). You might be better off having Esri help. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, is there anything I could do to help, would you like the PNGs that I received from Esri?

JonathanSkloven-Gill
New Contributor III

All,

I am experiencing the same issue, but with using AGOL's Web App Builder, and not Portal/Server based data. For example: When I edit the widget and upload a thumbnail, it saves it in the WAB editor. When I launch the app, the thumbnails are the classic broken link. As I'm not running anything from server, or stored data, I am not certain this solution will be available for me. 

Any advice?

0 Kudos
DanHoffman1
New Contributor III

I'm getting the same problem as Jonathan....using Web App Builder in AGOL...broken links.  Below is the screenshot from Chrome Developer Tools....I'm getting an error message of 498 (indicates an expired or otherwise invalid token).

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you an administrator in the Portal? Even though there's a token with the request, you may still not have access to the basemap items, in which case that token is invalid. Are the items in the basemap group shared with everyone? They seem to be default basemaps so I'd be surprised they wouldn't be already.

0 Kudos
MatthewCieri
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am having an issue with the basemap widgel custom basemap thumbnails also with the 498 code.  These images don't show up in portal as something to share.  They show up in the portal web app builder but not when you run the app. I am able to find the images in the portal folder under the app ID so they are there. I have tried loading the images from a local machine and the server and i get the same issue.

MissingThumbNails

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
AnjithaSenarath3
New Contributor II

I have same issue from 1st version of portal and web app builder. This is known issue for decades and ESRI never fix it. We have upgraded to ArcGIS 10.6.1 and latest portal and WAB .. still same issue available .. It seems ESRI never fix their errors. 

Is there real work around for this ?