Portal 10.3 Configuration Settings

08-19-2015 09:58 AM
StephenWay
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I tried configuring a proxy using the PortalAdmin API by setting {"WebContextURL": "<url string>"}.  The update failed, so i thought nothing more of it, until portal stopped working almost immediately.

It failed, and now Portal starts, but i get a HTTP 404 when trying to navigate to the home folder.  It can see through console, that the HTTP404 is produced by the /sharing/.... request that happens.

The only HTML page i can now get up is the PortalAdmin login, and even my Admin username and password is giving me an error message "You are not authorized to use this resource".

So now, i cannot go into the Portal admin to change any settings, and i cannot go to Portal as a normal user to do anything!

I saw in one file in portal/framework/etc/portal-config.properties that the url i used to change the WebContextURL setting.  I reverted this back, restarted Portal and it is still not working!!

Is there some config placed into Postgres that i can get at to fix this?  I ahve spent half a day trying to resolve this - I have looked in every location & file that has been modified, and nothing is jumping out at me.

Many Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DustinHobbs
Esri Contributor

Hi Huke,

I've seen this error message before. Unfortunately to resolve this error message required a clean install of Portal for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

We did a restore to the day before. Can i ask why you were adding it? i was adding it because in Portal i cannot create an application on a web map that will prompt for server credentials. It only works when i store the cred. or unsecure at server.

0 Kudos
AhmadAwada1
New Contributor II

I think that  Esri shall treat this issue more seriously and not indulge with it this way!!

Esri can't tell customers to uninstall their systems only because the WebContextURL change didn't complete!!!

Sorry but this is not professional and there should be a way to revert back. Excuse me but this is not acceptable at all

0 Kudos
DustinHobbs
Esri Contributor

Greetings Ahmad,

In the version 10.3.1 when someone updated the WebContextURL from PortalAdmin that value was saved to an internal database. If the wrong value was entered for the WebContextURL, essentially the referrer value for proxying request would also be wrong. This is the reason users would not be able to access Portal for ArcGIS endpoints. Also, because the value was saved to an internal database the only way to recover from this problem was to reinstall Portal for ArcGIS.

This problem has been addressed in the more recent versions of Portal for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
RossHavery
New Contributor II

Hi Dustin,

I have done the same thing in updating the WebContextURL from PortalAdmin which has now locked me out of portal admin and rest end points as discussed above.

I am using version 10.5.1 and your above message states this issue was fixed from 10.3.1?

How do I fix this without a full re install?

0 Kudos
DustinHobbs
Esri Contributor

Hi Ross,

While I cannot guarantee that a full re-install will not be required the following may assist in the recovery of the environment. Ideally, these edits should ONLY be made from the portaladmin endpoint, but if you cannot reach that endpoint this may help.

• Stop the Portal for ArcGIS Service.
  • Navigate to C:\arcgisportal\content\items\portal directory
  • Edit the portal-config.properties file
  • Remove/delete the webcontext.url entry at the bottom of the file.
  • Save the edits to the portal-config. properties file
  • Start the Portal for ArcGIS Service.

From here you should be able to access the portaladmin endpoint, which will allow you to reconfigure the WebContext URL.

This should ONLY be used as a last effort to recover the Portal for ArcGIS environment. The aforementioned file should not be used to make edits to the Portal for ArcGIS environment. The portaladmin endpoint should be used instead.

I hope this helps. If you have problems beyond this the recommendation would be to reach out to Esri Support Services for additional assistance. 

RossHavery
New Contributor II

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your response. We ended up doing a full re-install which was a bit of a pain but if we get the issue again I will defiantly try the above.

0 Kudos