No option to manage feature templates on Portal maps

05-04-2022 05:25 AM
Labels (2)
ChrisHolder
New Contributor II

I am the GIS admin for a small utility company. We use Enterprise 10.8.1. I have a Portal map shared with a client that they will use to place features when they discover one of two types of issues they feel we need to address. When we complete the work, we will be editing the feature and switching a domain field from completed "No" to completed "Yes". When a feature is edited to show that it is complete, we want it to change color on the map. 

To achieve this, in Pro I have symbolized the features based on two separate attribute fields. One issue type is a red icon, the other a blue. Both types would change to green based on the Completed field changing to "Yes". So there are four possible feature templates:

• Issue Type 1, No
  • Issue Type 1, Yes
  • Issue Type 2, No
  • Issue Type 2, Yes

Of course, I don't want the client to have the ability to add a feature with an already completed "Yes". So in Pro I have removed the two feature templates that contain the "Yes"/green symbol. Unfortunately this is not carrying over to the Portal map, where the client has the option to add any of the four templates. 

This page says I should be able to click a "Manage" button under the Edit option in Portal. However, I am not seeing a Manage button even though I am both the administrator and the owner of the feature layer. What am I missing here? 

We are open to other options as to how to achieve this. I have an employee who used an Arcade script to successfully have the feature turn green, but again, the script doesn't seem to carry over from Pro to Portal. We would really like the symbology we're using in Pro to be visible in Portal.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you on the Classic map viewer?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ChrisHolder
New Contributor II

That's something I did not consider. We are still on Classic, and now that you mention it, I believe the page I linked is for the newer Map Viewer?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hm. If you're on 10.8.1, I think the "manage templates" panel is only available on the Classic map. If you go to the Edit tab in the classic map, do you see Manage down at the bottom?

jcarlson_0-1651682442136.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ChrisHolder
New Contributor II

I do NOT see the Manage button at the bottom, only Undo and Redo. This, despite the fact I am an administrator and the service I'm attempted to work with was created and published by me. I've checked around and it seems I don't see the Manage option on ANY of the feature layers I published. 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is editing enabled on the service? It's easy to forget about that, since admins can always edit, but it could be related. If it's still missing, you should be able to edit the map's JSON to force the templates in. Not that it solves the problem of the options being missing.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

I had a similar problem getting feature symbology to display in a Field Maps form. I had to go to the Visualization tab on the feature service's Item Details page, add my expression and set the symbology there, and save the layer. After that, it appeared as desired in Field Maps. I'm not sure why that worked or whether it will work for you, but it might be worth a try if you haven't figured it out yet. 

- Holly
0 Kudos
JeffLegato1
Occasional Contributor

I don't see a Manage button either. I would like to remove one of the templates in my map. I wonder if it's only available with hosted data?

Screenshot 2022-05-05 084133.png

0 Kudos