Named User Licensing Outside of Active Directory?

08-31-2021 11:13 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Trying to figure out licensing for a fully remote department. I'd asked another (probably too specific) licensing question with no meaningful results, so now I'm wondering something a bit simpler:

Can I make my Named User licenses available to users outside of my LSA's active directory?

And if so, how? Does anyone have specific examples of this?

Currently, my users are utilizing a VPN to connect to the same network as the LSA, but this is not ideal, and cannot be done programmatically.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh,

The question I have is what kind of authentication you have configured?

If you have SAML configured then it is possible to have both enterprise and built in users authenticate. Your remote users could have built in account instead of enterprise (AD) accounts.

The remote users would still need to be able to access the Portal endpoints. So, if you don't want them to log into the VPN, Portal/ArcGIS Server would need to be exposed outside of the VPN.

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for responding, Mark.

We log in with built-in user accounts and the Portal is public. I have an open Support case about this, and have been working closely with my IT director to figure things out, but no luck.

I can telnet to the LSA machine from one of the "worker" machines, so communication isn't a problem. All ports and security group roles are configured to allow LSA to communicate. For whatever reason, I still cannot get Pro to validate a Named User license from it.

Setting the licensing settings to Concurrent Use to try pinging the LSA does return an error message about needing to upgrade the LSA in order to use it with the version of Pro I'm on. This seems especially odd, given that I am using the latest version of LSA.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

OK, the only thing I can think of, is if you have fixed the port on License Server?

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/license-manager/latest/configure-the-arcgis-license-manager-to-work-th...

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes indeed. I can't tell what else it might be, but will update this post if Support comes up with anything.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos