Select to view content in your preferred language

Move Portal Datastore from C: drive to D: drive

09-01-2017 12:46 PM
AllenScully
Frequent Contributor

We have added a large 😧 drive to the virtual server where our primary Portal site is installed.  We also have ArcServer installed here (federated) and datastore for hosting capability (all Enterprise 10.5) We need to move the datastore to this 😧 drive (from the C: drive on the same machine) as we are rapidly running out of space.  Yes, in hindsight this should have been done at initial install.  Lessons learned...

I wanted to confirm that the steps to do this are essentially the same as those listed here, for moving the Datastore from 1 machine to another:

Move a relational or tile cache data store—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

It seems like it would be quite similar, but hoping to get confirmation before we map out an execute the move.

Thanks -

Allen

15 Replies
RebeccaRidley
Occasional Contributor

Hi Izzat,

So ...the news on my end is bad. I struggled with that last step for days. I work in a military environment and blamed our outrageous security on it. Our security team even got involved and we were never able to make that last step work. I ended up just installing a new data store from scratch and re-building the contents. At that point it would take less time to do so, than to continue spinning my wheels in what seemed like a pointless endeavor. If you do figure out how to get this last step to work, please comment back, and best of luck. I know how frustrating it can be.

Izzat
by
Emerging Contributor

Hi @RebeccaRidley ,

I did not manage to make the last step work. My workaround is just manually copy arcgisdatastore folder to D drive, give permission to arcgis account  and manually change the all the related config file.

However this workaround might be risky.

May I know how you re-building the contents? Let say if you have more than 400 contents.

Another solutions might be work:

1) copy arcgisdatastore  folder to D drive

2) uninstall arcgisdatastore

3) reinstall arcgisdatastore and used arcgisdatastore folder in D drive as contents.

Note:I did not try this solutions. If someone had try this workaround can let us know.

RebeccaRidley
Occasional Contributor

Fortunately for me, I was standing up a new server and didn't have much in the old data store when I discovered my IT department had partitioned my drives in such an order that C: wasn't scalable under our security profile (couldn't load the 3rd party software we'd need to make it happen). So I just re-published my hosted services manually from ArcGIS Pro. I spent many hours on the phone with ESRI trying to come up with a solution. 

0 Kudos
Sander
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I Have been struggling today (AGE 1081) with moving argisdatstore to a new path and received the same error: "Error encountered: Failed to generate a token for the user. Incorrect credentials provided." After some digging and trying with a colleague (thank you LBO), I was able to solve this issue by adding additional steps before the restoredatastore commando.

See steps in Article: How To: Move ArcGIS Data Store from one location to another, for example C: to 😧
https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000024963

Article steps:

1 backupdatastore

2 unregisterdatastore

3 restoredatastore

My Steps:

1 backupdatastore (for each datastore)

2 unregisterdatastore

3 Stop AG DS service

4 Rename original folder <drive>:\arcgisdatastore --> <drive>:\arcgisdatastore.old

5 Start AG DS service

6 restoredatastore

(using the renamed folder for: --source-loc <drive>:\arcgisdatastore.old\backup\relational)

After the restore of a tileCache you will see (with describedatastore) the backup location for the tileCache is still the old location (while for the relational store this is updated to the new location automatically). So you need to follow the steps to fix that (use configurebackuplocation.bat --store tileCache --operation list to get an overview)

7 configurebackuplocation.bat --store tileCache --operation register --location E:\arcgis\arcgisdatastore\backup\tilecache (add new location)

8 configurebackuplocation.bat --store tileCache --operation setdefault --location E:\arcgis\arcgisdatastore\backup\tilecache (set new location as default)

9 configurebackuplocation.bat --store tileCache --operation unregister --location d:/arcgis/arcgisdatastore.old/backup/tilecache (delete old location)

And now finally get rid of your old argisdatastore.old folder using the Windows file explorer

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
sodtom
by
Emerging Contributor

The far BEST way to do this is to use symbolic links! This mean you

1) stop the data store service
2) copy the origin data store content folder (e.g. c:\datastore\content) to D-drive e.g. to "d:\datastore\content" folder
3) remove the origin content folder
4) create a symbolic directory link "content" under the origin data store folder pointing to the new content folder in D-drive:
  cd c:\datastore
  mklink /d content d:\datastore\content
5) start the data store service

In certain circumstances, you may mount the disk directly to specific folder/path too, which is similar to  symbolic links. Naturally take first backups from the origin folders before starting these operations 🙂

0 Kudos
DuongHB
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,
We have customer uses ArcGIS Data Store for Relational and Tile Cache. Recently the C drive got little space. But they have D drive which still got lot of space.
Our solution is just moving content of Tile Cache to D drive, while others still kept at C drive.
We used changenosqldslocation tool for that (example: changenosqldslocation D:\TileCacheStore). Need time to wait content moved from C to D drive. After that, we deleted files and folders inside C:\arcgisdatastore\nosqldata to free up space.
That's all!

0 Kudos