Migrating ArcGIS Portal from dev to production

07-24-2014 03:16 PM
JamesGustine
New Contributor III

Hello,

We have just spend quite a bit of time setting up Portal in our development environment (creating users, groups, content, etc). We are now ready to move everything forward to a staging/user testing server. What is the recommended workflow for moving Portal to another server? I know I can write scripts to read and recreate groups/content, but is there an easier way to accomplish this? Like an exportable config file? or copying certain files from the portal directory structure?

Thanks in Advance

- James

Tags (1)
7 Replies
BrendaFennel_GISP
New Contributor III

Hi James,  I would be interested in following this as we have just installed the Portal on a development server and I would be interested in any responses to your question.  I am also wanting to know if the same methods could be used to bring all the data, users, groups and settings over to Portal from AGOL?

0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Hello James,

May I ask which version of Portal for ArcGIS is installed?

There are two ways I know to approach this. The first method is to use the script provided in the Esri Documentation:

Example: Copy content—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Or the second option, which worked for me (tested with Portal 10.3 and Portal 10.3.1):

1. Copy the C:\arcgisportal directory from the 10.3 Portal Machine to the new machine
  2. Run the 10.3.1 installer on the new machine
  3. During the installation it will as if you would like to use existing content or create new
  4. Select the first option to use existing
  5. After installation completes, authorize Portal and create initial administrator account
  6. Install and configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor for Portal
  7. Sign into Portal Home and verify that the users and content were migrated to the 10.3.1 Portal
CarlosKrefft
Occasional Contributor

Cameron Kroeker: In the second option you provided, does the installation path in the new machine have to match the old machine?

0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Hello Carlos,

I would actually recommend against this workflow now. Since this post there have the two blogs published with two different methods outlined. 

1. Migrate to a new machine in ArcGIS Enterprise 

2. Migrate to a new machine in ArcGIS Enterprise using the WebGIS DR tool 

Thanks,

Cameron K.

0 Kudos
CarlosKrefft
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Cameron, 

I saw these the only thing is i'm trying to find a way to change installation paths on the new machine and both those workflows require the new machine to be on the same installation path as the old machine. So i'm desperate for a solution and premium support said changing directory cannot be done. But if this really worked for you, I'm still interested.
Given my situation, would you still recommend against this workflow? If so, why?

Carlos K.

0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

Which version of portal are you using? Are you trying to just change the content directory path (C:\arcgisportal\content to say something like D:\arcgisportal\content, D:\arcgisportal\db, D:\arcgisportal\index, etc)? These can be updated using the portaladmin api:

Changing the portal content directory—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Or are you trying to change the actual installation directory (C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal to say something like D:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal)?

I recommend against it because I had posted that workflow 5 years ago and it would need to be retested against newer versions. Also, if I recall correctly everything had to remain the same, including the content/install directory paths.

CarlosKrefft
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Cameron,

I'm looking to change the install directory (D:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal). I was going to try your 5-year-old approach, but based on your recollection of them needing to be the same, i'll keep searching for a different workaround.

Thanks again!

Carlos K.