Migrate Portal User, Group and Group Members to New Portal

03-29-2019 01:46 AM
MatsHardy
Occasional Contributor

I have installed a ArcGIS Portal 10.5.1 and Server 10.5.1. I have created some users and groups on Portal and assigned the users to different groups.

Now, I am installing another ArcGIS Portal 10.6.1 and I want to migrate all users, groups and group members to new server. Portal has ListUser and CreateUser utilities to migrate the users, but how about groups and group members?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I read Clone Portal users, groups and content | ArcGIS for Developers  with great interest. Question, the author makes very clear that "Service Items" cannot be cloned: "It does not copy over services though,..." , "Note, this notebook did not copy over the services that power the service based items. Such items continue to point to the same URL as the ones in source portal did. As long as those URLs remain accessible, the web maps and layer items continue to be usable.". Question 1, why can't service based items be cloned? What if we're moving the hosting server as well? Question 2, what exactly is a service based item in this article? Many of the "service items" I have in portal are where I took a rest endpoint from a non-federated server and added it to Portal using "Add content from web" in "My Content". Am I correct in understanding that this notebook example WILL NOT migrate any service item, regardless of if it's from the hosting server or any un-federated server? If so, why? Seems like migrating service items is a pretty critical component of moving an enterprise install. 

0 Kudos
BhanuVedula
New Contributor

Hello @JonathanQuinn ,

We are in a situation where we have to completely rebuild our portal and I'm using the clone portal users python API script to create the same groups from the old portal to the new portal, copy content and share with the same groups.

The issue I'm having is that the content gets copied over but doesn't get shared with the target group created, I get the following error message 

Error copying rd_ResidentialSign_survey_test_BV
	Cannot find group with id: GIS Portal Publishers
0 Kudos