Merge ECW image

06-27-2011 04:32 PM
SamKwan
New Contributor
I have many ECW image tiles, each as separate layer.  How can I combine them into one image? I am not talking about group because I need one singe image!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
Have you tried using a 'raster catalog'?

These are made in a geodatabase...and can combine raster images together in a mosaic.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Creating%20raster%20catalogs%20in%20a%...
0 Kudos
SamKwan
New Contributor
Thanks Simon. I can create raster catalog and I tried merging the ECW images. It does work for my trial of a few images. But when I tried to merge all the 98 images, it crashed. Maybe files are too large. So do you think there is any way to do so?! Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi Sam,

When you say "merge" did you simply try to use the raster catalog or did you try to mosaic the datasets into a single dataset.
If it is the latter, then be aware that ECW is highly compressed which means you need a lot of disk space to write out the new file.

Robert
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
Yep exactly what Robert said...maybe the amount of disk space being used is too large.
0 Kudos
SamKwan
New Contributor
I try to mosaic them into one layear so that I can drap it in the ArcScene. So are they any alternatives to do so?!?!
0 Kudos
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi Sam,

Have you tried using the raster catalog in ArcScene? I would also suggest building an unmanaged raster catalog. You can additionally play with the display properties if you do not want to see the wireframe.
If you have 10.0 I would suggest using the mosaic dataset as it has many more options for you to manage your data.

Robert
0 Kudos