Maptip and photos

Jump to solution
06-13-2012 11:36 AM
ChristopherCarver_Jr
New Contributor II
Is it possible to get a photo to pop up like info displayed in map tips?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCarver_Jr
New Contributor II
It is possible to include text i just haven't discover the image/photo yet.
chose the layer you want and go to properties-
in the layer properties menu go to the tab HTML Popup-
make sure the box is checked for "Show content for this layer using the HTML Popup tool" and the " As a table of the Visible fields" is checked. this will enable HTML Popup.

As far as map tips doing a hover feature:
in the same layer properties menu select the Display tab- in the display expression check the box "Show MapTips using the display expression". then chose the field you want to display, if you want more then one field let me know and i will explain how to do that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
By map tips, do you mean HTML Popups?  There are a couple different options you can use to display photos using the HTML Popup tool:

• You can create a field that will hold a path to the photos on your hard drive, or create a field that will hold the URL to photos that are hosted online and the use the As a URL option for the HTML Popup Properties:

1)  In the properties of the layer, go to the HTML Popup page.
     2)  Select the As a URL radio button, adn then choose the field that stores the path to your photo, whether it be on your hard drive or the internet.

• If you have an ArcEditor or ArcInfo license, you can use the attachments functionality to add photos to individual features as attachments.

1)  If you're using a shapefile, export it to a feature class in a geodatabase first.  Right click on the feature class and go to Attachments > Create Attachments.
     2)  Then, in an Edit session, go to the Attributes window, and use the Attachment Manager to add an attachment.

• You can also add a raster field to your attribute table, and then store your image in the attribute table, (the image will be stored in the geodatabase).

1)  Open the attribute table for the layer, and go to Add Field > Raster
     2)  In an edit session, you'll now be able to click on the arrow for the value and choose which picture you want to upload.
0 Kudos
ChristopherCarver_Jr
New Contributor II
Thank you. I believe this will help.
0 Kudos
richardBurdett
New Contributor II
Hi There I have the same issue.

I have lots of photo attachments to Sign feature layer and HTML popups activated so they appear when selected (and I have them attached as well). However I would like them to pop up when hovered over using the MapTIP functionality.

Is this possible?

On a side note ... I have added a raster column to the table as well but ArcGIS wont allow me to save the edits once I attach a photo to the asset? is this because I have attachemnts enabled?

Kind regards,
ChristopherCarver_Jr
New Contributor II
that might be a possibility. my photos are in JPEG format and aren't attached, mine are also in a raster column, i have tried to select it as a map-tool tip as soon as I click OK it acts like its processing and then shuts down arc desktop with an error report. i wish there was a work around to get my photos of culverts to pop up in desktop with out using URL links to do so.
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

Is it possible to not only include an image but also text in the pop-ups?

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos
ChristopherCarver_Jr
New Contributor II
It is possible to include text i just haven't discover the image/photo yet.
chose the layer you want and go to properties-
in the layer properties menu go to the tab HTML Popup-
make sure the box is checked for "Show content for this layer using the HTML Popup tool" and the " As a table of the Visible fields" is checked. this will enable HTML Popup.

As far as map tips doing a hover feature:
in the same layer properties menu select the Display tab- in the display expression check the box "Show MapTips using the display expression". then chose the field you want to display, if you want more then one field let me know and i will explain how to do that.
0 Kudos