Map layers didn't update when turning on / off a layer

01-04-2017 08:23 AM
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

I am using online maps on Portal for ArcGIS. There are several layers. Sometimes no data displayed on the map when I turn on one layer that does contain data that is supposed to be displayed on the map.

The data on the layer will show up if I refresh the map page and re-check the map layer in the Layer List. I know it may be because of the browser cache issue. Is there any way to avoid or improve the problem that no data displayed on the map even though the map layer does have data. Any action I need to take when publishing the map service or to make via Portal for ArcGIS?

I will really appreciate it if any help can be provided.

Thanks,

Shuhong

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

I've seen this issue often.  Not just with Esri but with any web development I've done.

F5 & Ctrl F5 (and even multiple Ctrl F5s) are your friend.  Browser caching can be great for speed and a real pain for changing data or code.

In my experience, this is just one of the normal browser issues you have to deal with in web development.

In Portal, I have the most problems when I've updated a map or feature service and I'm trying to get the new data to show up on a prior web map (or web app) using that layer.  I've had to delete the layer and add it back to the map to get new layers in a map service to show up.  

If it's a complex map and a big data set, it can take time for the data to draw.  I am not very patient sometimes.

I'm curious to know if Jake or Derek (or Rebecca or any of the other long time Portalites) have any better suggestions.

ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Thank you, Paul. I've meet the same issue with the Portal when I insert or remove a layer and republish the map document, I have to remove and re-add the map layer again and re-configure the pop-up and widgets showing the attribute table information on the bottom. I haven't figured out how to solve this problem. 

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

I think that Portal 10.5 has some functionality that is supposed to help with some of these issues.

I'll be updating one of our Portals in the next few weeks I hope and will report back.

0 Kudos