Managed database: SDE Enterprise database or Datastore

10-05-2015 11:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I would like to know if someone would have some advice with an On-Premise, Federated Portal
10.3.1 installation, where the Managed database would be our SDE Enterprise
database instead of the Datastore. Anyone know of any downside or limitations we may encounter by not using the Datastore?

Thank you,

Line
Champagne

Gaz Métro,
Montreal

12 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Line,

Your requirements:

"There are 2 goals we hope to achieve with our implementation of Portal:

1) Give Portal users the possibility to create new Feature Layers from Portal. From what we understand this can only be achieved if we use ArcGIS Data Store; using an Enterprise geodatabase as our Data store does not unlock this options.

2) We would like to be able to update features located in our Geotatabase using Feature Services for use in Collector. When Data Store (software) is installed all Feature Services are published as Hosted Feature Layers. When the feature layer is hosted in the Data store edits are no longer synched with our ArcGIS Server Geodatabase…"

Based on the above, for item 1, I would use the ArcGIS Data Store. Yes, you could use an enterprise geodatabase, but internal testing has shown that the ArcGIS Data Store performs better and is able to host more feature services for Portal for ArcGIS. Also, as Jacob said: if you want to enable and publish scene services (3D data) then you must use the ArcGIS Data Store because scene services are not supported by enterprise geodatabases.

On item 2, I would use an enterprise geodatabase as a managed data store (i.e., data storage option) for the feature services that you publish to your ArcGIS Server site. These services could be used to support your Collector for ArcGIS editing workflows.

The point being, I would actually have 2 separate "data storage tier" options:

1. ArcGIS Data Store for your hosted feature services

2. Enterprise geodatabase for your ArcGIS Server site feature services

Hope this helps,

ZhujingXia
Occasional Contributor II

I am new to the data store. I'd like to make sure  that if I use data store then I no need to have the SDE geodatabase, the data store could handle everything as the SDE geodatabase did. And I no need to install the RDBMS (for instance the MS SQL server). The data store has PostgreSQL in it already. Am I right?

Thanks

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Zhujing,

> I'd like to make sure  that if I use data store then I no need to have the SDE geodatabase, the data store could handle everything as the SDE geodatabase did.

No, this is not quite correct. An enterprise geodatabase has the full and complete spatial data model, such as support for versioning, replication, and archiving. The ArcGIS Data Store does NOT support any of these things. The latter is used to support a hosting server for a Web GIS deployment, while the former can be used to store data that power web services in ArcGIS Server.

> The data store has PostgreSQL in it already. Am I right?

Yes, this is correct. However, you should NOT try to work with the contents of the ArcGIS Data Store directly, like with pgAdmin or anything.

Hope this helps,