Making Buildings have a 3-D look.

08-26-2011 07:28 AM
MileyWind
New Contributor
Does anyone know how to make buildings standout? Is there a template that can be used?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II
Just to be sure, you are asking how to add a shadow to a building to make it look 3D, correct?

There are a couple of ways you can do this.  The easiest is to use Cartographic Representation and you add in a second polygon layer with the Move Effect.  The amount you want to move the layer depends on the scale.  For example I tend to move the building footprints x = 2, y = -2.  You will then have to colour the two polygon layers different colours (black or a grey colour for the moved layer).

You can also create a copy of your building footprints feature class and then during an edit session, select all of the features and use the Move tool to move all of the features (e.g. x=2, y= -2).  In the Table of Contents you will have to add both the building footprints layer and the building footprints layer that you just moved.

I hope this helps.
Cory
0 Kudos
MileyWind
New Contributor
0 Kudos
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II
See my previous reply to your question.  It will do exactly what you want.  For better directions, see this link:
http://blogs.esri.com/Support/blogs/mappingcenter/archive/2008/10/21/3d-effect-for-a-building-footpr...
0 Kudos