Living Atlas layer access for anonymous users?

Jump to solution
05-19-2017 12:10 PM
ShannonDeArmond
Occasional Contributor

I'm using Portal 10.5 and I'd like to make a web app that uses some Living Atlas subscriber content that would be visible to an anonymous user. Seems like ArcGIS Online users can do it, so one would hope there is a way to do in Portal as well, right? Do I have to set up a self-hosted proxy service to do this? Would this be the appropriate methodology: Working with Proxy Services | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Online and Portal will generally have the same functionality/features available, especially in this case.  Here's another blog that may help, giving you some different options.  I think you'll want to look at the "Authorize the layer" section.  Be aware that usage of subscriber services costs credits.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Online and Portal will generally have the same functionality/features available, especially in this case.  Here's another blog that may help, giving you some different options.  I think you'll want to look at the "Authorize the layer" section.  Be aware that usage of subscriber services costs credits.

ShannonDeArmond
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS and Portal generally have the same functionality... eventually. Portal user usually have to wait six months to year for new features that hit ArcGIS Online. The blog was helpful though, thank you. If I add the layer to Portal via the rest service url and then add it to my map, I get the options I need as opposed to browsing to the layer via Living Altas within the map itself.

One question though. You say that subscriber services cost credits. My understanding was that premium services cost credits but that subscriber services could be shared in a web app or story map without consuming credits, as long as you have an organizational account. Do I have that wrong?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry, I may have misspoken.  I don't typically deal with ArcGIS Online but I am familiar with embedding credentials in items.  You may be entirely right in that subscriber services don't cost credits, only premium services do, I can't speak to confirm that, though.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Shannon DeArmond‌, a coworker who works with Living Atlas informed me that in Portal, you can't access the Living Atlas layers anonymously.  By design, they can only be accessed by members of the organization.  Sorry for the confusion.

So this CAN be done, (sorry for the back and forth) and can only be done by Administrators.

0 Kudos