legend with 2 colums of symbols

07-02-2012 02:21 AM
olaflinke
New Contributor
tried the search function but as so overwhelmed by the amount of information about the legend subject that decided to post my probably simple question.

I was shown a printed map (made with ArcGis / ArcMap) with a legend of 2 columns of symbols for many objects.
For example: first column - an fill object if the area/object in the map is large enough to be drawn as polygon , second column - a symbol if the area/object is to small and can be represented only by a symbol, than follows the text description of that feature.
Unfortunately nobody was able to tell me how this was done.

Can anybody explain how to create such a legend ?
I have the feeling that this might be not a standard legend but perhaps a specific tool or trick is applied ?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
Look at my post at similar thread: Making multiple columns in map legends.

Hope this will help.
0 Kudos
olaflinke
New Contributor
thanks for your reply;
the linked post was among those I reviewed during my initial search but it's not exactly what I have in mind.
So I created a simple example to better express what is intended (see attached image):
Two different symbols side by side for one and the same object type - one for the object drawn as
a polygon or line feature in the map, second for an point type, if the area is to small and better depicted with
an symbol
0 Kudos
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
There's no standard option which allows to do such thing.

To make fully customized legend, convert standard legend to graphics at the final stage of map authoring.
Ungroup graphics and then you can play with individual elements.
Align tools on Graphics toolbar are great help in making graphics well aligned with each other.
0 Kudos