Is there a way to speed up the display of large numbers of points when clustered?

Jump to solution
03-05-2020 05:50 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I am attempting to display a large number of points (c250,000) as clusters as the first level of detail on my map, as it would be meaningless and very data hungry to display them as individual points until I get to a much higher resolution. Because of the size limit on clustering, I have created six separate layers, all of which are set to the maximum clustering. However, they take just under a minute to load, which is unacceptable. Is there any way to speed this up? Would splitting into more layers help, or would it still be the same, as I'm still dealing with c250,000 items? I wondered about a heat map instead, but it doesn't come up as a style option.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenTurrell

Hey Simon Crutchley‌,

If you have access to ArcMap you could use this video to create the hexbins and then upload it as a layer to AGOL:

40 Years of Piracy 

It is ArcGIS Pro but the concepts will carry across to Map as well.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BenTurrell

Hey Simon Crutchley‌,

Have you seen these? https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/data-management/mapping/strategies-to-effectively-display-... 

There are some good recommendations on how you can show large amounts of data. I'm a big fan of the hexbins as a layer that turns off and is replaced by the data at lower levels.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

SimonCrutchley

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that, but unfortunately it doesn't work on features over 100,000. I got this error message.

GetLayers for parameter 0 failed. Error: {"code" : 0, "messageCode":"GPEXT_018","message": "Number of features in service https://gissite.historicengland.org.uk/arcgis/rest/services/Features/OBAP/MapServer/0 exceeds the limit of 100,000 features. Use a hosted feature service as input to analyze large dataset.","params":{"url" : "https://gissite.historicengland.org.uk/arcgis/rest/services/Features/OBAP/MapServer/0"}} Aggregate Points failed.

It seems to be that I'm using exceptionally large numbers or features, something that's only going to get worse as we add more each year.

I also have access to ArcGIS Map, so is there something I can do with the data in there first, before I import it i.e. create a new aggregated layer? I've tried the "Aggregate Points" tool, but it creates randomly shaped polygons.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BenTurrell

Hey Simon Crutchley‌,

If you have access to ArcMap you could use this video to create the hexbins and then upload it as a layer to AGOL:

40 Years of Piracy 

It is ArcGIS Pro but the concepts will carry across to Map as well.

Thanks,

Ben

SimonCrutchley

Brilliant. Just what I needed.

Thanks

0 Kudos