Importing GPS data

08-25-2011 09:36 AM
PatGreen
New Contributor
I am trying to import two files (.gdb extension) that were sent to me. These files come from a GPS unit- and DNR Garmin doesn't recognize the file, so I can't pull any data from it.

Any help to bring these into ArcMap would be spectacular.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChristySteffke
New Contributor
I am trying to import two files (.gdb extension) that were sent to me. These files come from a GPS unit- and DNR Garmin doesn't recognize the file, so I can't pull any data from it.

Any help to bring these into ArcMap would be spectacular.

Hi Pat,
GDB extensions denote file geodatabases- which is what the GPS unit likely wrapped the GPS data into upon export. Go into ArcCatalog and "open" your GDB file... it is likely a file geodatabase which contains a text file containing XY (long,lat) data. If this is the case, open the text file with Excel, rename the latitude column Y, rename the longitude column X, then save as a worksheet in a workbook. Finally, add the worksheet to ArcGIS (close table in Excel-necessary to function properly in ArcGIS), then "add xy data" from your table. This should give you an "event layer" which are points w/ no attributes. Export the dataset to get your attributes back.

I hope this helps!

Christy
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, this data is very unlikely to be in Esri geodatabase format. A file geodatabase is a folder of files and a personal geodatabase has an .mdb (Microsoft Access) extension. It look like it's a Garmin format. The Data Interoperability extension may support it, but I don't think it's natively supported in ArcGIS.

Melita
0 Kudos
PatGreen
New Contributor
Melita has it right. I'll try that.

EDIT: Data Interoperability does not support that file extension.
0 Kudos
DavidWilliams
Occasional Contributor
Hi Pat,

I use DNRGarmin and GPSBabel in my workflow:

1. convert .gdb to .gpx using GPSBabel

2. convert .gpx to .shp using DNRGarmin
0 Kudos
PatGreen
New Contributor
Hi Pat,

I use DNRGarmin and GPSBabel in my workflow:

1. convert .gdb to .gpx using GPSBabel

2. convert .gpx to .shp using DNRGarmin

That's what I ended up doing, and it seems to work well. Thanks so much.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
.gdb from a GPS, you can use Garmin MapSource. A copy should have come with the GPS
0 Kudos