import feature symbology to label symbology?

02-05-2013 09:51 AM
BL
by
New Contributor II
I have a polygon feature class in which features are symbolized by unique values (region code).

Now I want to create colored map labels for my features using the same colors from the symbology tab. I'm using the label method 'define different classes/label features differently' (Label Field: region code).
Is there a way to import/assign the same RGB values of the features (via symbology tab) to the text symbol for each label class?

Right now, the text symbols for all my text classes in the Labels tab are defaulted to black and I have to go and manually change RGB values for each class which can be a little time consuming.

Btw, I'm using ArcGIS 10 SP5 (Arcinfo).

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
Symbol descriptions allow carriage returns and can be used in the legend. http://mappingcenter.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=ask.answers&q=1089
0 Kudos
BL
by
New Contributor II
I don't think this is quite what I'm looking for, but I learned something new so thanks! I see where my original post needs to be clarified.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
GAH, this is where my lost post went!  Sorry about that!  I was trying to answer a different thread and evidently hopped around too many tabs at once.  There's nothing wrong with how you worded your question.

OK so to actually address your problem.  Hopefully someone can present an automated solution, in the meantime this workaround can cut down on the labor.  You can save custom RGB colors into the color palette so that you have quick access to them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21498[/ATTACH]

This topic gives a VB code (which is outdated by 10, I know) for something related, to automatically color polygons based on RGB values in the attribute table.  Maybe something in there can spark an idea of how to do it with labels?
0 Kudos