How to show separate lines at an intersection

10-25-2013 09:22 AM
GeorgeDudley
New Contributor
I am mapping the route of a marathon.  The route crosses itself several times.  Where the line crosses itself one cant tell, except for common sense, which line is which.  I would like to show separation of the two lines (one feature).  I have created a representation, but I guess I don't know how to manipulate it . . . if that is even the answer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28614[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
George,

is this all one line or different segments? If it is all one line, divide them up and segments so when the segments cross each other you will see what you want to see. Configer you line as outlines in step 1 to 4 here.

Tim
0 Kudos
GeorgeDudley
New Contributor
Thanks, Tim.  As I mentioned in the original post, I do have the route created as a single feature, and I could break it up into pieces as you suggest, in fact that may be what I have to do, but then I have to make sure that all the points where the segments meet appear seamless.  That isn't that hard to do, I was just hoping for something more elegant.  Again, thanks for the reply.

George
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Yes, when you edit just turn on vertex snapping and you should have no problem.
0 Kudos
GeorgeDudley
New Contributor
That and make sure that the intersection of the two features is at a point where the line is straight.  That helps with the rendering.
0 Kudos