How to set up maps&apps on Portal only viewed by a specific group?

05-17-2017 07:51 AM
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

In my content of Portal for ArcGIS, I have multiple map and related apps. I want to set up one of the maps and apps only viewed by a specific group I created. Is there any way to do that? I tried to use the "Share" function to share it only to the group I specified. However, the members in the organization can still view the map/app even they are not in the group. 

I also tried to not share the map/app I created to anyone, but the members in the organization can still view them. Anyone could tell me what's the problem? we are using Portal for ArcGIS 10.5. 

I appreciate your help!!

Shuhong

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shuhong,

By default, when you create a new item in Portal, it is private and can only be viewed by the item owner.

> I tried to use the "Share" function to share it only to the group I specified. However, the members in the organization can still view the map/app even they are not in the group. 

What role are the other uses set to? Can you verify they are NOT admins?

Hope this helps,

ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Thank you Derek,

your suggestion helped me a lot, people who are not admins can not view the map that I only shared to a specific group.

However, I got another problem. Since we updated ArcGIS Server & Portal to 10.5, people who have publisher roles can not update(overwrite) the map services created by other publishers. Is there any way that publishers can update a specific map service together?

Thanks a lot!

Shuhong

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Shuhong,

What set-up do you have deployed for your GIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS?

Is the GIS Server site federated with Portal?

What kind of authentication is Portal configured to?

0 Kudos
ShuhongYan
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

our GIS is federated with Portal.

Portal use Windows authentication

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Shuhong,

Since your GIS Server site is federated with Portal for ArcGIS, the Server site follows the security model set in Portal.

> Since we updated ArcGIS Server & Portal to 10.5, people who have publisher roles can not update(overwrite) the map services created by other publishers.

This is expected behavior and by design. An item can only be owned by a single named user - so only the owner of the web service can overwrite it. This is a different security model than in a stand-alone ArcGIS Server site (e.g., not federated with Portal).

> Is there any way that publishers can update a specific map service together?

No, this workflow is not supported.

Hope this helps,