How to? larger scale map in the corner of a smaller scale larger map.

Jump to solution
08-16-2013 07:14 AM
SamuelHokett
New Contributor
hello,
I've been having trouble figuring out how to place a larger scale small map in the corner of the main smaller scale map. I've got a shape file of some oil leases and I would like to have a smaller map in the corner showing the lease locations within the state of Nevada.
Thanks,
Ross
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Hi there!

In your mxd on the main toolbar click on Insert -> Data Frame

I also recommend to then right click the new data frame -> properties -> frame choose a border and as background choose white. This will make it stand out more.

In this Data frame you can put for example a Nevada state shapefile and your oil lease shapefile. You can move this map wherever you like into your main map.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Hi there!

In your mxd on the main toolbar click on Insert -> Data Frame

I also recommend to then right click the new data frame -> properties -> frame choose a border and as background choose white. This will make it stand out more.

In this Data frame you can put for example a Nevada state shapefile and your oil lease shapefile. You can move this map wherever you like into your main map.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Ross,
Go to INSERT>>DATA FRAME
It will put another data frame or window into your layout, which you can populate with whatever data you wish. It is totally independent of the other data frame's content, scale etc.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
SamuelHokett
New Contributor
Thanks
That worked great
0 Kudos
ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor
Ross,
Something usually found in a overall dataframe (Nevada view) is an extent frame that highlights the zoomed in view. In the overall view dataframe properties you'll find "Extent Indicators". You can add multiple extents for multiple dataframes.
I offer one correction in your terminology regarding scales of the maps (sorry to repeat this if you already know this). The state view map is a smaller scale map and the zoomed in dataframe, say a county view, is a larger scale. Say the scale of the state view is 1:3000000 and the county view is 1:90000. As representitive factions, 1/3000000 is a smaller number than 1/90000, so the statewide view is a smaller scale.
Scott
0 Kudos