How to create a simple table (for legend) in ArcGIS 10.2

05-23-2014 06:20 AM
PiyaliKundu
New Contributor III
Hey all,

I'm trying to format a particular section of my legend into a table. An image of the legend is attached to this message for your viewing. I am trying to format the key for the Ecological-Economic Zoning section into a table with 3 columns, the first column with the color, the second column with the description, and the third column with a set of area measurements.

I do not have the Production Mapping extension to create the dynamic table elements. Is there a way to make just a simple table to display this information?

Thanks,

image[ATTACH=CONFIG]34039[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PiyaliKundu
New Contributor III
Managed to somewhat solve the answer to my problem. ArcGIS 10.2 allows users to input Excel table elements. However, ArcGIS has somewhat messed up the preview aspect of this function. The table looks fine in print preview, but not in layout mode. If anyone has other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You could always create a table in excel, leave enough room in the first row so you can put your colors in. Once you have finished your table in excel, select your whole table and click CTRL + V and then rightclick in in the white space next to your map in layout view and click paste. This will put the table in your map. Resize it and put it where you need it.

To get the colors from your legend, select your legend, rightclick and choose convert to graphics. Select it again and right-click and click ungroup. Now click each line and do the same. Now you will have a graphic for each color. Just move the color in the excel table you have brought in.

I know this is very cumbersome but that is how I would do it.
0 Kudos