How to connect portal with ArcGIS Desktop?

03-13-2018 10:51 PM
JustinOdell
Occasional Contributor III

I am attempting to configure Portal for ArcGIS so users can access it via ArcGIS for Desktop.

I follow the instructions as documented in Use ArcGIS Desktop with your portal, however when I click 'Connect' within the ArcGIS Administrator as shown below...

Manage Portal for ArcGIS Connections

...I am presented with this Security Alert.

If I click 'Yes' and continue, I am presented with the same message again. If I click 'Yes' again and then 'Save', all seems well...

...Then when I fire up ArcMap and click 'File', I am not presented with an automatic 'Sign In' nor a connection to my ArcGIS Portal, despite apparently having Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA) set up successfully.

ArcMap > File

So I am unsuccessful in connecting to my Portal via ArcGIS Desktop in this particular environment. In another environment I have had success connecting to my Portal, and the only difference I noticed between the two approaches was that in the scenario above I am presented with the Security Alert regarding certificates and server authentication, whereas in the successful connection I was not.

Is this a certificate issue? How do I resolve it?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Justin,

This may be a certificate issue.  Try importing the certificate to your Trusted Certificate Store:

1.  Open the portal URL in Internet Explorer

2.  Accept any security warnings

3.  Click on the security lock in the address bar > View Certificates

4.  Install Certifcate > Local Machine > Next > Place all certificates in the following store

5.  Click Browse > select Trusted Root Certification Authorities

6.  Next > Finish

After this is complete, see if you can successfully add the connection without being presented with a certificate warning.