How to add data

09-27-2022 08:25 AM
Labels (1)
Eric_BBDO
New Contributor II

I want to add data in the experience builder tool. I clicked on "add data" but there's no place to upload a file. I've found instructions that say go to "add data", but none that tell me how to upload my data once I get there. Help?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Eric,

the first step is to add data to "My Content" before you open ExB.  Then when you click the "Add Data" button in ExB you select from the data that is in your "My Content".  This link should help - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/add-items.htm

Bernie.

0 Kudos
Eric_BBDO
New Contributor II

Any idea how to access the "My Content" page? I can't find a link.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors

Eric - are you using ArcGIS Online or Portal?

0 Kudos
Eric_BBDO
New Contributor II

It does not appear to be the Portal, but I don't really know. I'm evaluating the product -- so far the API looks far easier than at no-code tool due to semantics and UI issues. 

0 Kudos
berniejconnors

The Experience Builder app interface is fairly complex and it takes some practice to become accustomed to the features and workflow.

Sounds like you must have been given an evaluation account on ArcGIS Online.  When you first login to arcgis.com you should see a header like this:

agol_login.png

It was previously called "My Content" but now its just called "Content".

If you are already in the ExB app you can click on your user logo in the top right corner and select "My Proflie" from the drop down menu.  This will open a new tab and display the "Content" link in the banner across the top of the new tab:

agol2.png

Bernie.

0 Kudos
Eric_BBDO
New Contributor II

Thanks, although this is very weird. I didn't look in my profile for content uploads, that's the last place I would look. It's fine the tools are complex, I would expect that -- but the semantics like "add data" without a means or link to add any data, and content uploads buried inside profile settings are really not instilling confidence in the design. I might be back for more questions as I might get stuck often since I'm not going to figure this stuff out intuitively.

0 Kudos
BrianD
by
New Contributor III

It sounds like the OP may be equating the "Add Data" function in EB with how one would use the Add Data widget in WAB.   The two are very different.  My understanding is that there is no comparable Add Data widget available for EB yet, but I believe ESRI has that on their roadmap for development.  Not having it is a big hindrance in moving from WAB to EB.

berniejconnors

Eric,

I suspect a salesperson has suggested the ExB would be a good tool to build your app and they suggested that you try it out.  But before you ever get to building an ExB app you have to prepare your data, clean it, and load it into ArcGIS Online as a hosted feature layer - its like creating a web service to allow you to query your data and create map images of your data.  Next you would compose a wep map in the ArcGIS Online map viewer.  The web map would be configured with a basemap, rules on how to display your data, symbolize your data, and configure pop-ups that will display a record for a single map feature when you select it on the map.

After you have completed the above steps is when you would begin building an ExB app.  It's no wonder you were having difficulty understanding the Experience Builder interface when you were not shown how to prepare your data for use in ExB.

Bernie.