How much RAM does the Web Adaptor require?

Jump to solution
03-13-2017 01:51 PM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

In going to Portal on 10.5, it looks like it will require one Web Adaptor for my ArcGIS Server and a second Web Adaptor for Portal for ArcGIS. So I need to know how much RAM they will need on my Web Server?

Thanks,
Janie

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You'll have no problem running two web adaptors on that machine.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

The Web Adaptors run in an application pool, which creates a w3wp.exe process.  It's hard to give an exact amount of RAM it'll use, but it's safe to say you shouldn't worry about how many resources the Web Adaptor will use, it won't be much.

0 Kudos
JanieGoddard

I only have 4 Gb RAM on my Web Server. So I want to make sure that it will run two web adapters.

Thanks,

Janie

Sent from my iPhone

I forgot to say I already have the one web adaptor running linking to ArcGis Server. Now I'll need the second web adaptor running linking to portal. I have 4 GB RAM total. 

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You'll have no problem running two web adaptors on that machine.

JanieGoddard

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Janie

0 Kudos
JaclynMeade1
New Contributor II

janiegoddard‌ Can you let us know how you deployment turns out?  We are working on a similar situation with 2 web adapters on 1 server and are concerned over the resources they will consume. It is our public facing server that will host 4 applications and the 2 web adapters will be directed to our internal map servers that are feeding our public apps, ArcGIS Online web maps and our Open Data Portal.  We are concerned it will be too much traffic on one machine. Would love to hear if your server had any issues with the dual web adapters.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
JanieGoddard

Hi Jaclyn,

We have not deployed yet. We had to upgrade our SQL Server from 2008 to 2012 SP3 first. We have that done now. I have not used Portal before. So I'm watching the webinars and reading installation manuals on how to do the security side of this. I have a much better understanding of it now. The one thing to watch for is the RAM on your ArcGIS Server. Portal uses 8 GB RAM and ArcGIS Server uses 8 GB RAM. We just got an upgrade on our RAM this week. So we will be going soon. I'll let you know!

Janie

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You shouldn't really be concerned with the resources the Web Adaptor will use.  The system requirements for the Web Adaptor don't list CPU or RAM requirements because it's simply a reverse proxy running within an application pool.  A setting that may be of interest to you within the application pool is the number of worker processes.  However, it would be difficult to give definitive answers on performance as there are a lot of factors that go into those types of answers.  For example, how many concurrent users will be accessing the services at peak time?  How responsive are the services behind the web adaptors?  What else is running in IIS?  Your best approach is to run load tests using JMeter or another load testing application in a QA environment that mimics your production environment.  The only way you'll really know if your configuration is good is if you test it.