How make map like esri campus map?

04-28-2013 11:22 PM
irwanirwan
New Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23819[/ATTACH]

I wanna ask how to make map like esri campus map like picture in above?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
this map looks like a combination of an air photo and polygons that represent different features.

First create individual feature classes for each type of feature.

From what I can see here I would say building, sidewalks and it looks like roads.

You can also create a polyline feature for the roads as well to make it easier to label.

You open your air  photo first.  Then in an edit session you start to draw in your buildings based on the outline of the buildings in the air photo.

Drawing the sidewalks like the image is the same but a little more tricky.  I would draw portions of the sidewalks so you can leave the open areas open then just merge them together when you are done.

It also looks like the drew in the roads. 

What I do for roads like this is I draw a center line down the middle of the road. I then include a column to designate the width of the road as measured from the center line.  i.e. a 60 foot wide road would measure 30 feel from center.  I then buffer the roads based on the road width field.

Looking closer like under the Pauley Pavilion ( they spelled it Pavillion on their map) it looks like they drew some features in with lines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23819[/ATTACH]

I wanna ask how to make map like esri campus map like picture in above?
0 Kudos
irwanirwan
New Contributor
Thanks for your comment robert, but i dont understand what you mean about air photo? only dem or terain data, or maybe air foto like lidar or other ortho image, i already have data building (polygon), sidewalk (polygon), landuse (polygon), road (polyline and polygon) dem and quickbird image, i realy confused how make the colour i mean the green colour which have a tree or vegetation in side. can you explain to me robert how make that? is it use cartography representation?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
What are you trying to change the color on?

I think it would me the most simple to simply add an air photo background.

if you click on the drop down arrow on the add data button.. Yellow Triangle with a Plus sign.  Go to Add Basemap and you will see the option to add air photography.

If you add your buildings or some other part of your map first it will add the air photography as a back ground.

Thanks for your comment robert, but i dont understand what you mean about air photo? only dem or terain data, or maybe air foto like lidar or other ortho image, i already have data building (polygon), sidewalk (polygon), landuse (polygon), road (polyline and polygon) dem and quickbird image, i realy confused how make the colour i mean the green colour which have a tree or vegetation in side. can you explain to me robert how make that? is it use cartography representation?
0 Kudos
irwanirwan
New Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24003[/ATTACH]
sorry robert but i'm still confused which map template can i use?
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Either of the first two should suffice.  Depends on if you want labels or not for the streets.  You can work with any of them and switch them out as you go to see which one works best.  They are all georeferenced so they will all fit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24003[/ATTACH]
sorry robert but i'm still confused which map template can i use?
0 Kudos