How do you use a web app template that you have created to publish a new web map app?

Jump to solution
09-14-2015 02:11 PM
JonathanClark2
New Contributor II

Hi:

I have used WAB in Portal for ArcGIS to create a template (following the instructions in: Export as a template—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server ) and that is now available in our portal's template group.  However, I cannot figure out how to use this template to publish a web map as a new web map app.

I have basically gone through the JavaScript WAB in the Portal, added in our company logo, placed out of the box tools where I want them, selected colors for the borders, etc, etc, and then clicked Export as template.  I've gone through all that and it's saved successfully and has been added to the group for templates that my portal admin created successfully.  I can now see the template in that group, but I can't do anything with it.  All I can do is "view the application".  When I go back to My Content and select Create --> app --> Using a Template, I only see the ESRI managed templates- not the one I just created.  If I click the drop down beside a web map that I have created, I don't see any way to use my template instead of the default one.

What I really want to do is to be able to have a template I've created from the Portal WAB available to use as a template just like you can use the ESRI managed templates.

Thanks,

Jonathan Clark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

The app gallery accessed via My Content > Create > App > Using a Template doesn't show custom templates only Esri provided ones. Templates created that way have special logic to handle creating an app in a situation where a web map is specified after map creation and not all user-created templates support this behavior.

If you specify a custom template gallery you will see your templates if you go to the map then use the Share dialog to access the template gallery.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KellyHutchins

Your org administrator will have to follow the steps in the 'Web App Templates' section of this help topic to set your custom group as the template group.

Configure map viewer—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
JonathanClark2
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly:

Thanks for the info, but our admin already did this step and it doesn't seem to have worked.  Is there no way to get templates that we create in the same "container" as the templates that come with Portal?

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

When you set your custom group as the template group in the org settings there is an option to add the existing Esri templates too. If you check this then all the Esri templates and your templates will show up in the gallery.

0 Kudos
JonathanClark2
New Contributor II

Yes, I did read that, and our admin did do that.  However, When you go to "My Content", and click on Create --> App --> Using a Template, non-ESRI managed templates do not show up in the list to pick from- ie the template that I created and is stored in the template group that my admin created...

In addition, when I go to the template group that my admin created, I can find my template, but I can't use it to make a new web map app.  The only thing it will let me do is view the template....

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

The app gallery accessed via My Content > Create > App > Using a Template doesn't show custom templates only Esri provided ones. Templates created that way have special logic to handle creating an app in a situation where a web map is specified after map creation and not all user-created templates support this behavior.

If you specify a custom template gallery you will see your templates if you go to the map then use the Share dialog to access the template gallery.

0 Kudos
JonathanClark2
New Contributor II

Ah, finally.  I see what you are saying.  That's really unintuitive though...  Who thinks up these convoluted workflows?

Thanks for the right answer.

0 Kudos