Select to view content in your preferred language

How do Enterprise Geodatabases, Enterprise Portal and ArcGIS Online work together?

yesterday
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor II

I am considering implementing the Enterprise Portal and I am wondering how it works with Enterprise geodatabases?  The ESRI help documentation isn't giving me the detail I'm looking for.  I want to have a copy of many of my layers in ArcGIS Online so that my map viewer apps can use the layers from there instead of using ArcGIS Server.  My main questions and concerns are:

- Will I have to move my data into some other database/data store that Portal uses, and will I only be able to see and interact with it through the Portal AGOL-like interface?  OR will I be able to keep my Enterprise Geodatabase just like it is and have Portal simply access it?  OR does it work some other way?

- Second, how does the syncing of feature layers/tables between Portal and ArcGIS Online work?  I have Safe Software's FME and I could simply setup a workspace job to sync layers/data between my Enterprise Geodatabase and ArcGIS Online without using Portal.  Why would I want to use Portal instead of FME?  Is it easier/better to do the syncing of layers via whatever tool Portal uses?

That's it, thanks for your feedback!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@MatthewStull1 

ArcGIS Online you can upload a File Geodatabase as you know.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/supported-items.htm#:~:text=File-,geodatabase,-(.z...

You can use ArcGIS Online with a Feature Service or Geodata Service, this means the external ArcGIS Server Service can be fetching the data from an Enterprise Geodatabase. The ArcGIS Server Service can be running on your data center or in the Cloud.

Please, read this blog for more information about how to integrate data with ArcGIS Online.

Seven Ways to Integrate Data with ArcGIS Online (esri.com)

ETL for ArcGIS Online using Data Interoperability

Using Data Interoperability to sync data to ArcGIS Online - Esri Community

This shall point you in the right direction.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

Matt,

I see you work for a city government.  Does your question refer to open data or does this data need to be secure?  I am in a similar situation - I work for a provincial government in Canada.  We publish many map services.  All of our map services are public (https://geonb.snb.ca/arcgis/rest/services).  We only use ArcGIS Server.  We have not deployed Enterprise / Portal.  We use ArcGIS Online to create and publish map viewers that directly consume our map services.  We do not have a need to duplicate our datasets in AGOL.  Your situation may be different.  But our situation does not require our data to be duplicated in AGOL.

Cheers,

Bernie.

0 Kudos