Hide a field when publishing to Portal

04-02-2019 02:22 AM
MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

Hi.

Is there any way of hiding a field in a feature class when publishing to Portal via ArcGIS Pro?

In other words, I want only selected fields to be available in a published service, not all which exists in feature class.

Thanks, 

Martin

Tags (1)
8 Replies
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor
  • Select to Design --> Fields from ArcGIS Pro
  • Select the Visible Fields
  • Save the changes
  • Publish or Over right the Service

MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

Hi.

Thank you. I have done that, but the field was available in the REST endpoint. This is an answer I got from a local ESRI representative, but I doubt that this is the correct solution. I guess it should work as suggested above, or am I wrong?

The suggested solution:

Right workflow is to use geodatabase views: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/create-database-view.htm This way you ensure that the feature service will be based on the subset that you define with only the relevant fields. 

I would really appriciate your comments on this.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

In my case you can enable and disable the fields without any problem. (I have the latest Pro version).

Be sure when you enable / disable a field at the end to Save the changes

The database view is an alternative.

0 Kudos
MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

Based on your answer I guess it should work with hiding the fields in ArcGIS Pro. I do not want to create the database view, as I changed which fields are shown or hidden quite dynamically.

I am bit stuck now, hopefully someone from ESRI can give me an answer on how to solve this issue.

0 Kudos
AndreaFagan
New Contributor II

Has anyone found a solution for this? I'm running Pro 2.4.0 and publishing to Portal 10.6.1. When I turn off fields in the field view they are still available in the rest endpoint and as a result, the map viewer. If I turn them off in ArcMap and publish the service, the fields are NOT available in the rest end point, and thus securely hidden.

I'd like to have some public content served up from my internal enterprise GDB but I need to disable some of the fields. Yes, a database view would work but I'd rather not clutter up my database with additional items just to accomplish this (seemingly) easy security fix - especially when it works from ArcMap 10.4.1.

Thanks!

MartinSirkovsky1
New Contributor III

I was informed by ESRI representative in Denmark, that hiding fields

doesn’t work when publishing to Portal using ArcGIS for Server 10.6.1

Updating the server to 10.7.1 solved the problem for me.

Kind regards,

Martin

AndreaFagan
New Contributor II

Thanks for the update, Martin, really appreciate it - good to know its Server and not Pro.

0 Kudos
CarlVon_Stetten
New Contributor

I can confirm upgrading to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 solved this issue for me.