Grid lines stay 'straight' instead of curving with the projection

10-19-2012 12:30 PM
CurtWalker
New Contributor
This is probably a stupid question but I've never run into it before.  I have created a shapefile of the Maidenhead grid (used for mapping amateur radio contacts).  It was created with a python script and defined in WGS84.  I would like to map it using the US National Atlas projection of North America.  When I switch to this projection in ArcMap the grid appears to be incorrectly displayed.  Instead of grid lines that smoothly curve across the map they remain 'straight'.  For this projection this results in a very incorrect portrayal of how these grid lines should cover the globe.  Reprojecting the grid hasn't had much effect.  A screen shot of the problem is attached.[ATTACH=CONFIG]18590[/ATTACH]

Instead of the spider web effect the grid should show curvature.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi,

For performance reasons, we do not densify (or generalize) lines when they're re-projected. Try densifying the data. There's a densify tool in the Editing toolbox.

Melita
0 Kudos
michelzion
New Contributor
no but converting the projection is more good than straight line

dainik" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.deshmeaaj.com]dainik bhasker
0 Kudos
CurtWalker
New Contributor
Hi,

For performance reasons, we do not densify (or generalize) lines when they're re-projected. Try densifying the data. There's a densify tool in the Editing toolbox.

Melita

Thanks that worked perfectly.
0 Kudos
RandallBerry
New Contributor II

Hi Curt, I just had a request from our local Ham Radio group to add the Maidenhead Grid to an online map (ArcGIS Online) that I set up for them. This term is new to me and I'm still just getting started in GIS. I hoped to find this ready-to-go in the gallery, but no such luck. Would you be willing to share your shapefile? Randy

0 Kudos