green mystery lines in layout view

08-22-2012 08:59 AM
AngelaCunningham
New Contributor II
What the heck are these?

This map was fine the last time I opened it, but now there are these green lines. I've run a basic python script to update layer symbology in between opening the map before and opening it now, but these lines haven't appeared in any of the other maps I ran the same script on.

The green mystery lines only appear in the layout view and they seem to go on forever.  They don't seem to be associated with any of the layers in my map (I tried turning them off one at a time in the TOC). I can't select them or identify them. Closing and reopening the mxd doesn't help.

thanks,
Angela
Tags (2)
24 Replies
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor
What the heck are these?

This map was fine the last time I opened it, but now there are these green lines. I've run a basic python script to update layer symbology in between opening the map before and opening it now, but these lines haven't appeared in any of the other maps I ran the same script on.

The green mystery lines only appear in the layout view and they seem to go on forever.  They don't seem to be associated with any of the layers in my map (I tried turning them off one at a time in the TOC). I can't select them or identify them. Closing and reopening the mxd doesn't help.

thanks,
Angela

Angela.

That problem appears when you are at this level of zoom in Layout view, Can you upload a zoom-in (and zoom-out) of this screen because i'd like to check the line's origin

Greetings
0 Kudos
RobertPhetteplace
New Contributor

I had this problem too, the lines originate from an area on the ruler, when you zoom in and out the angle changes so that they are pointing to the same area on the side ruler.

0 Kudos
TomekOrczykowski
New Contributor
Did anyone found out, where are these lines comming from. How to get rid of them? Does it affects .mxd file?
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
I've seen this once before; copy and paste the contents of the mxd to a new one.  In layout mode, you can drag a box around your whole data frame and then copy it into a new mxd.
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
I think these might be guides in your layout. The page layout help talks about them a bit. Try right clicking on the ruler on the left side of your layout and selecting Clear All Guides. Not positive, but would be worth a try.
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
Is it possible that one of your layers has a geometry problem?  If you suspect that is may be the case, use the "Check Geometry" and "Repair Geometry" tools.  They can be found in ArcToolBox > Data Management Tools > Features.

From my experience, this phenomenon usually occurs on a polygon shapefile which contains sloppy digitizing of boundaries - example: digitizing of vertices does a "loop-dee-loop" and self-intersects.

Josh
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Just adding my experience to this thread.

I've created a python script (Arcgis 10.1, sp1,(build 10.1.1.3143)) and have been running it in Pyscripter. It updates the datasources of layers and then saves the mxd. I've noticed that these green lines have appeared in the mxd layout. I think its some sort of corruption of the mxd being introduced by arcpy.

There is also a discussion on GIS stack exchange about this which ironically links back to this thread...

Duncan
0 Kudos
FredEaston
New Contributor
I think these might be guides in your layout. The page layout help talks about them a bit. Try right clicking on the ruler on the left side of your layout and selecting Clear All Guides. Not positive, but would be worth a try.

I had these mystery lines show up today and this was what it was, clicking View>Guides will hide them quickly.

Dropped something on my keyboard, so there must be a hotkey or func key that turned them on.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
LauraWerhan
New Contributor
I also got a green mystery line appearing - and I know they are NO rulers.

They seem to 'belong' to the Neatline, since moving the Neatline also moves the green lines and when deleting the Neatline the green lines also disappear.

Is there any way to solve this problem (except for not inserting a neatline..) ?
0 Kudos