Google Maps in Hong Kong inaccurate ?

02-16-2014 02:56 AM
TobiasKugler
New Contributor
Hi

I received 8 png. files with 8 cities all over the world. The Data come from Google maps and are all in the WGS_1998_Web_Mercator Projection with the D_WGS_1984_Major_Auxiliary_Sphere Datum. 7 files fit accurate with the basemap. Only the Hong Kong file is slightly shifted. Does anyone know where the fault is? I noticed that on Google maps itself, there is a inaccuracy around Hong Kong when I switch between the satellite image and the map. Do I do something wrong? or is data from google map itself imprecise?
Thank you for the help.

I attached a Screenshot that you can see the shift.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31480[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
windsurferhk
New Contributor

hello , i am from Hong Kong. I have just read your question.

first of all, according to the image your provided, the satellite image shows Zhuhai, a city in the west of hong kong and we are both within Guangdong Province.

the reason why the georeference data cannot match with the satellite image such as google satellite? Due to national law, the use of geographic information in the People's Republic of China is restricted to entities that obtain a special authorization from the administrative department for surveying and mapping under the State Council.[1] Consequences of the restriction include fines for unauthorized surveys, lack of geotagging information on many cameras when the GPS chip detects a location within China, incorrect alignment of street maps with satellite maps in various applications. 

reference is below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_geographic_data_in_China 

hope the belated answer would help you

cheers

windsurferhk