Fixed pie chart

Jump to solution
09-17-2013 11:56 PM
PSGeo
by
Occasional Contributor
Hi there,

I have a feature class with 80 points and in the table of attributes I have three boolean fields, with the correspondent values  :

Attributes - values
Water      - yes / no
Sewage    - yes / no
Gas          - yes / no

how can I make a pie chart out of this?
Imagine each slice is static between all the points and the only think that changes is the color of the slice according to the boolean value... is this possible to do?

cheers
Pedro
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
Something like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27698[/ATTACH]

I can think of two ways.  The first is to make your charts static symbols to use in Multiple Attribute symbology.  Make the pie chart symbols in your favorite image software (I made them quick and dirty in Paint) and save them each individually.  Stylize the layer based on your three fields of Water, Sewer, and Gas.  Using text or number fields does not matter.  Click Add All Values so it gives you all the combinations.  Then assign the correct image of the pie chart to each symbology value.  (You can tell it to make the white background transparent so only the pie chart shows up.)  The disadvantage is that you can't change the colors, etc unless you go back into the image software.  The advantage is that it's intuitive to organize the data.  I think this method may only work on point data.

More complicated but if you really really want to use the pie chart tool you can fudge it.  You need redundant attributes so there are six fields instead of three.  You would have Water Yes with values one or zero, and Water No with values one or zero.  Same for sewer and gas.  Be very careful that when the data is updated for new utility hookups that it gets entered correctly so that the ones and zeroes are in the right columns.  Then the pie chart tool would read all six fields and only draw slices for the fields that are not zero.  It would result in three slices from six fields and the color of the slice would depend on whether the utility was hooked up or not.

So for example:
Water Yes - 1 (blue)
Water No - 0 (gray)
Sewer Yes - 1 (green)
Sewer No - 0 (gray)
Gas Yes - 0 (yellow)
Gas No - 1 (gray)

This would result in a pie chart with a blue, green, and gray slice because it read 1 for water, 1 for sewer, and 1 for no gas.  The advantage is it's easy to re-style the pie chart colors any time.  The disadvantage is that six fields are more confusing than three and there is a high chance of user error for anyone editing the data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

Unfortunately you can't make a pie chart based on text fields.

You have to create 3 new fields (short integer type) and calculate the attribute values: 0 for no and 1 for yes.
After this you can use these newly created fields to create the pie chart.

Akos
0 Kudos
PSGeo
by
Occasional Contributor
Well I have done that... however the problem remains the same.
how can I have a pie chart with static 'pie slices' with only the color of each changing accordingly to the yes/no of the correspondent field.

thanks
Pedro

Hi,

Unfortunately you can't make a pie chart based on text fields.

You have to create 3 new fields (short integer type) and calculate the attribute values: 0 for no and 1 for yes.
After this you can use these newly created fields to create the pie chart.

Akos
0 Kudos
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
Something like this?

I can think of two ways.  The first is to make your charts static symbols to use in Multiple Attribute symbology.  Make the pie chart symbols in your favorite image software (I made them quick and dirty in Paint) and save them each individually.  Stylize the layer based on your three fields of Water, Sewer, and Gas.  Using text or number fields does not matter.  Click Add All Values so it gives you all the combinations.  Then assign the correct image of the pie chart to each symbology value.  (You can tell it to make the white background transparent so only the pie chart shows up.)  The disadvantage is that you can't change the colors, etc unless you go back into the image software.  The advantage is that it's intuitive to organize the data.  I think this method may only work on point data.

More complicated but if you really really want to use the pie chart tool you can fudge it.  You need redundant attributes so there are six fields instead of three.  You would have Water Yes with values one or zero, and Water No with values one or zero.  Same for sewer and gas.  Be very careful that when the data is updated for new utility hookups that it gets entered correctly so that the ones and zeroes are in the right columns.  Then the pie chart tool would read all six fields and only draw slices for the fields that are not zero.  It would result in three slices from six fields and the color of the slice would depend on whether the utility was hooked up or not.

So for example:
Water Yes - 1 (blue)
Water No - 0 (gray)
Sewer Yes - 1 (green)
Sewer No - 0 (gray)
Gas Yes - 0 (yellow)
Gas No - 1 (gray)

This would result in a pie chart with a blue, green, and gray slice because it read 1 for water, 1 for sewer, and 1 for no gas.  The advantage is it's easy to re-style the pie chart colors any time.  The disadvantage is that six fields are more confusing than three and there is a high chance of user error for anyone editing the data.
0 Kudos
PSGeo
by
Occasional Contributor
Great I will try these solutions!

Something like this?

So for example:
Water Yes - 1 (blue)
Water No - 0 (gray)
Sewer Yes - 1 (green)
Sewer No - 0 (gray)
Gas Yes - 0 (yellow)
Gas No - 1 (gray)

0 Kudos