Exporting an "interactive" map

04-23-2012 08:00 PM
AustinThompson
New Contributor
So I am using ArcMap 10. I geocoded a bunch of addresses, and in the points there is extra information (name, phone number, etc) that comes up when you click on it. Now I need to export the data, and the people this is for don't have and GIS product. So is there any way that I can export a map that they can interact with and get the relevant information?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
Try to export as a GeoPDF.

In ArcMap: File -> Export map -> select .pdf as output. In Advanced tab choose Export PDF Layers and Feature Attributes. Before exporting remove all unnecesary fields and layers from layout.

In Adobe Reader turn on Model Tree navigation pane on the left side, right click on the page and choose Object Data Tool. Then click several times on your point until only one point is selected. In Model Tree you would see its attributes.
On the Layers navigation pane you can turn off some layers to increase performance.

Beware that performance of PDF with many layers and attributes may be low.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
In Adobe Reader turn on Model Tree navigation pane on the left side, right click on the page and choose Object Data Tool. Then click several times on your point until only one point is selected. In Model Tree you would see it's attributes.

Nice!  I wasn't aware of that.  Thanks for sharing it.
0 Kudos
AustinThompson
New Contributor
Thanks! Worked perfectly! More exclamation points!!!!
0 Kudos
RyanFanani
New Contributor

In ArcMap: File -> Export map -> select .pdf as output. In Advanced tab choose Export PDF Layers and Feature Attributes. Before exporting remove all unnecesary fields and layers from layout.

In Adobe Reader turn on Model Tree navigation pane on the left side, right click on the page and choose Object Data Tool. Then click several times on your point until only one point is selected. In Model Tree you would see its attributes.
On the Layers navigation pane you can turn off some layers to increase performance.

It's work definitely . ! !  Thanks
0 Kudos
BugPie
by

I am trying to find the mechanism that allows you to control the naming convention used in the Model Tree. The model tree at the top level shows all the layers within my mxd. If I expand a layer, I want to see the next level of the tree named using a specific field in the attributes. How can I ensure the correct field is used within Adobe?
0 Kudos
BugPie
by
The answer for anyone who stumbles on this one day is.

In the layer Properties for each layer > in the display tab, there is the "display expression" tool. The field or expression you write, shown here is what Adobe will use as the record name.
0 Kudos