Export to PDF or AI looses graduated symbol layer but JPEG and PNG don't

11-06-2012 08:14 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Not sure this is the right forum so, if not, pls advise.

I'm exporting a map with a layer using graduated colors for a polygon file.  If I export to JPEG or TIFF the colors come across fine.  If I export to PDF or AI, they aren't there at all (including the borders).  Haven't tested other formats.

What's interesting is the Legend colors for the layer display fine.

Thanks

Tom
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
So the layers don't show up at all? Could you upload the .ai and .pdf to here? Also a jpg for reference of what it should look like would help.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
These are the jpeg and pdf.  The upload said the AI file, even at 72dpi, was too large.  It displays the same as the pdf.  I can zip it or put it up on a web page if its important to see.  Also didn't upload the png but it does display the layer, same as the jpeg.

There are only 2 layers in this map.  The graduated color layer which is on top of the larger district layer.

I very much appreciate your help.

Tom
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I've done some further testing.  The problem happens when the field attributes are exported.  If I just export layers things work as expected.

This is the first time I've been learning about preserving layers and fields when exporting to PDFs.  Are there some cautions I need to learn?
0 Kudos
JimW1
by
Occasional Contributor II
You should give yourself a check for 'question answered'.

I ran into this same problem last year but I couldn't remember the workaround. Thanks for posting the solution.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the confirmation, however, I'd like to learn here (I am new at geoPDF).

What's being worked around?  Am I learning that enabling PDFs needs to minimize layers and/or fields?  I can imagine that that practice is good from the user's perspective, but does it also effect things so that PDF might not produce the layer?

There is a warning that lots of fields can cause performance problems.

Has anyone see any tutorials that go beyond just the mechanics of these exports and address the considerations?

Tom
0 Kudos