Exclude Features and Quantities Symbology

02-20-2012 09:42 AM
AmandaKass
New Contributor
I have a polygon shapefile of school districts. I would like to both exclude data based on one field (district type) and symbolize the shapefile using a different field (tax rate). There are three different types of school districts (elementary, secondary and unified), and many overlap. I'd like to show only unified school districts and then use the quantities symbology based on using a different field. Is there a way to do this without creating a new shapefile?--I've searched through past threads and didn't see a similar post. Thanks for any suggestions!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichalBrach
New Contributor
I have a polygon shapefile of school districts. I would like to both exclude data based on one field (district type) and symbolize the shapefile using a different field (tax rate). There are three different types of school districts (elementary, secondary and unified), and many overlap. I'd like to show only unified school districts and then use the quantities symbology based on using a different field. Is there a way to do this without creating a new shapefile?--I've searched through past threads and didn't see a similar post. Thanks for any suggestions!

I don't understand what you mean exactly but you can add this same shapefile many times to table of content.
In order to exclude some data base on attribute tables you can filter it by Layer Properties -> Definintion query tab.
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Amanda,

As Michal said, you will want to create a definition query to display only the unified school districts:

1. Right click the layer in the table of contents > Properties > Definition Query > Query Builder...
2. Create an SQL statement that says something like "TYPE" = 'unified'
3. Click OK

Now only your unified school districts should display. To symbolize these remaining records based on your tax rate:

1. Right click the layer in the table of contents > Properties > Symbology
2. Click Quantities > Graduated Colors
3. Under Fields, for Value, select your tax rate field
4. You can change around the classification method by clicking Classify.

Luke
0 Kudos