ESRI Default Symbols replaced by letters and other signs

10-21-2013 09:42 AM
SimonRochette
New Contributor
I am doing some pretty basic cartography stuff using my college's license for ArcMap 10.0. and I recently had to reinstall it due to computer issues.

I reloaded some maps I was working on and all my X,Y data symbols have changed to #, %, ^ or something similar instead of the usual circles, stars and stuff.

When I look into the symbol selector, specifically the ESRI style references, I can see the names of the symbol i.e. what they are supposed to be but instead I get letters or signs overlapping like a black % sign over a green capital G.

For example, the Circle 1 Default marker is replaced by an exclamation point.

What is going on? Can I fix this on my end?

Regards,

-Simon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
Sounds like a font substitution issue. You may have to put your software disc in again and do a Repair.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos
SimonRochette
New Contributor
Thanks for the quick answers!

The fonts aren't installed so that seems to be the problem.

However, neither a repair or a reinstallation fixed this issue. Is there another way to install those fonts?
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If you have another machine in your office that has the fonts installed just go to the Fonts folder and zip up the ESRI fonts.

You can  unzip them to your computer and install them.  Some of our clients also use NISC and their font set and it works for them as well.
0 Kudos
SimonRochette
New Contributor
I will try to find a computer with the software installed correctly and I'll copy the fonts.

The font files are definitely not on my computer so they are being skipped by the installer I'm using.

Thanks for the input.
0 Kudos