Editing a related table via web app?

08-04-2021 01:48 PM
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

Here's my setup:

SQL Server with 3 feature classes that all participate in relationship class and joins with a single, non-spatial table.

I want to be able to allow users, via a web map/app to add rows to this table, and have it update the feature class attributes.

Publishing works fine.  However, on the table itself, I do not see an "add new row" function.

I created something with AppBuilder and included the "Edit" widget, but it has no effect.  It only allows a user to create new geometry, but not simply add a new row to the table.

How do I get it to allow users to add new rows to the TABLE?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrittanyBurson

Hi @EricEagle 

I'm not an expert, but I think you're on the right track. The Edit widget within Web AppBuilder is the only place I know how to do this in a web editing environment. I have an Idea open here to suggest functionality for adding a new row using the Table widget in Experience Builder, as this would help us out a lot too!

If you click the feature and scroll down, you should see the related table at the bottom, with a pencil icon:

BrittanyBurson_0-1628114341482.png

And after clicking that, you should see a plus icon to add a record to the related table:

BrittanyBurson_1-1628114378560.png

And when finished you should see the new record/row:

BrittanyBurson_2-1628114410570.png

If you don't see this, perhaps the layer or widget is not configured correctly. But at least knowing it is possible here should help. These screenshots are from ArcGIS Online Web App Builder, using a hosted feature layer published with the related table from ArcGIS Pro. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
EricEagle

Thanks @BrittanyBurson - I'll give this a shot and report back!

0 Kudos
EricEagle

Hi @BrittanyBurson so unfortunately this isn't going to work.  This is because my users aren't working from a feature but from the table to any number of features (one to many).  They just need to add a row to the table and they won't always know or care where (geographically) the feature is.

I did upvote your idea.  In the meantime this is needed; it seems funny to have to code up a simple SQL "add a row" web interface with a massive capability like Enterprise, but it looks like that's what I'll have to do 😞

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson

Got it. Yes it is frustrating we cannot just add/delete a row to tables in any existing web editor. Someone here mentioned adding a bunch of empty rows as a workaround. If it wouldn't interrupt the workflow too much, you could perhaps hook up a Survey123 (using Survey123 Connect to link to an existing feature layer) to your table, and add new rows/records that way. Experience Builder has some pretty seamless embedded Survey options (example) these days in ArcGIS Online.

I have one project where we are using the CrowdSource Polling configurable app, entirely for the related table editing capability. If you go this route and have multiple tables related, it will only work with the first table. However that has it's own headaches, as the app is missing simple functionalities like the Layer or Legend widgets.

Good luck! It's a needed functionality! Hope to see it with the Table widget one day soon.

BrittanyBurson

Hello again @EricEagle

The release of the new Sidebar app this week presents a new opportunity for enhanced related record editing functionality. I encourage you to share your use case on this new Idea post.

0 Kudos