Don't symbolize Point Feature with Related Record

02-23-2022 09:36 AM
JasonCyphers
Occasional Contributor III

Looking for ideas on how to no longer have a point visible on a map once it has a related record...

I have web mapping app that allows dispatchers to add point features whenever a natural gas problem is reported (damage, leak, smell of gas, low pressure, etc.).  Once the crew arrives on scene, the dispatcher edits the point's "on-scene" time.  If the incident involves a gas leak, the dispatcher also edits the point's "gas off" time, so we can calculate how long the gas leaked.

Once the crew adds a related investigation record to the point, I'd like for the point to disappear from the dispatchers map, since they really don't have anything else to do with the incident at that point.

I've thought about doing some filtering based on report type, on-scene times and/or gas off times (not being null), but there are too many variables for me to do that - a report of "low pressure" could be because someone cut your service, which would have a "gas off" timestamp; or, the low pressure could be because your appliance is messed up, so there wouldn't be a "gas off" timestamp captured since no gas was leaking.

Best I can come up with is to filter the points on the map based on a time duration (only show points with a creation date/time within the last X hours).  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Jason,

Have you tried adding a new field that marks the closure of the problem?  You would need to train the crew personnel to mark it as closed using that field, but then you would have a definite marker to base your definition query or filter on.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

It's an option, but not the preferred one.  I've used that technique in the past, and when a user ads a related record, they inevitably forget to modify the point feature as well... no matter how many times they're reminded about that step.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you add the field to the related record and build a form that requires them to enter something into the closure field?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

Not sure I follow your suggestion...

Are you suggesting moving the "Investigated Yes/No" field to the related table, and making it required?  If so, since that info is stored on the related table, I don't know how I'd be able to symbolize the point based on that (since Portal 10.8.1 doesn't have the ability to create hosted feature layer views.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you tried other web apps?  Possibly Survey 123?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JasonCyphers

That was my initial approach, but I've been unsuccessful in launching the Survey123 app, from Field maps, and having the Survey123 form populated with the existing feature's data.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't think you need field maps if you are using Survey123.  

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos