Custom Grid as a Feature.....

02-21-2013 06:31 AM
JamesReed1
Occasional Contributor
I have created a custom grid that I would like to turn into a feature or shapefile. My main goal is to create a datadriven map with the grid. The problem I am having is that I cannot get it to convert to anything, I am using ArcView 10. I would appreciate any advice.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidDruen
New Contributor II
What are you converting from?

If CAD, there's a CAD To Geodatabase conversion tool (Toolbox/Conversion Tools/To Geodatabase/Cad to Geodatabase)

I thought I remember a cad to shapefile tool, but I can't find it, maybe Im remembering wrong.

If you have the Data Driven Pages toolset(extension), try the Grid Index Features tool - it's made for this sort of thing.  And check out tutorials and whatnot on using data driven pages to set up a series of maps.

hope this helps,

David Druen,
LA DOTD
0 Kudos
JamesReed1
Occasional Contributor
I created the grid in ArcView 10. I will try the DataDriven Tools to see what happens.
0 Kudos
JamesReed1
Occasional Contributor
I haven't had any luck with the Datadrive Tools. I can't get the Datadriver Grid to geolocate correctly to the "Frame" Grid. I figured out my plane coordinate origin and setup to use my file's scale but no luck. When I setup my other projects I just used an old state imagery grid to create a custom grid for my datadriven gas system book.
0 Kudos
ChristopherThompson
Occasional Contributor III
I'm not precisely clear about your objective - do you want to use the 'cells' of your custom grid as the the index layer for a map book?  If you open up the dataframe properties you can save that grid as a graphic.. the issue is that it saves it on the layout side of the world, not the data side.  You can select the graphic, copy it to the clip board, then flip back to the data side of things, paste that into your dataframe and then convert it to a feature class (that tool is under the drawing toolbar menu).  It will convert as a grid of polylines that you'll then need to rescale, make sure is georeferenced correctly, and then convert to polygons, and then name each of your cells with what ever page number/name that you want to use in your map book.

That said, possibly it is easier to create a fishnet (in the Feature Class tools "Create Fishnet") - you'll need to tinker a bit to make sure the cell boundaries are where you want them but you can create a polygon feature class pretty easily this way.
0 Kudos