Create high resolution hillshades

07-22-2013 02:12 AM
AnneFlink
New Contributor
Hi

I am trying to map small ridges from bathymetric data. These ridges are between 0.5 to 1 meters high, 1 meters wide and on average 30 meters long. The background data is very accurate and has centimeter resolution.

I have tried to create different types of hillshades to be able to visualize the ridges, but I have been unsuccessful. I want even the smallest ridges to be clearly visible.

I have here attached two images, showing the exact same area. As you can see the area is a couple of hundred meters wide.
The first image shows what I would like to reproduce. The second image shows only the closest resolution I have been able to obtain. My hillshades are very grey in colour and blurry.

Would be awesome if someone could help with this.

Kind regards,
AnneElina
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Based on the image output you provided, it appears that you are using the default settings for the hillshade. Select the box for "Model Shadows", and your result should be more like the upper image you are trying to replicate. The resolution is a product of the environment settings, so check those and be sure you are not downsampling.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos