Corrupt admin account / Portal installation?

Jump to solution
09-14-2015 06:27 AM
HåvardMoe
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

we have a test server going where we have set up ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 (workgroup) and Portal. Setting up the Portal was relatively easy, and I made some adjustments to the site (new basemaps) and added a few maps and services from AGS on the same server (and from out prod. AGS server running 10.1). All well so far.

Now, all of a sudden, my admin account is "corrupted" in some way, and all the things I did, as mentioned above, are gone.

• I can't log in:

Unable to sign you in to Portal for ArcGIS

Make sure you type in your username and password correctly. Your password is case sensitive.

• I can't reset the password
    • When I try to reset using the 'Forgot password' option, I just get "Error: Unable to modify information for user".
    • Trying the 'Reset password' option from My organization (using a colleague's admin login), I just get "Error: Unable to reset the password for member '(my account)'".

• I can't edit any profiles
    • Using my colleague's admin login  Itried to edit my profile, but only got "Error Updating Profile:  Unable to modify user information at this time."
    • I also tried to edit my colleague's own profile and got the same message.

• Strange message when adding new user
    • For this test we have added a few users as built-in portal members. Trying to add a new admin account I completed the registration, and then got "Complete! (green check symbol)" and the message "Unable to add the following members: (new account)".
    • It seems I can log in to this account, but still can't edit any profile info/password. I tried to change password from the profile, and now this new account is at point 1 above (Unable to sign in to Portal for ArcGIS)...
    • *sigh*

So... what could be wrong here? What can cause all content of an account to disappear like that? Why can no one update their profiles anymore?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HåvardMoe1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies. We have had a long-ish back-and-forth dialogue with ESRI support through our local reseller, and finally managed to resolve the issue.

As mentioned above, this is a testserver. The problem was that we installed Geocortex Essentials (GE) on the same testserver. That GE version (4.3) used the same port as Portal, so as a result Portal indexing got messed up. Once we disabled GE and reindexed, Portal works fine. (We did not catch on to the connection as all our testing after the installation of GE went into that and not Portal.)

I have been told that the latest GE version is fixed so that it does no longer interfere with Portal

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Håvard Moe,

I would recommend contacting Esri Support Services on this issue. They will be able to assist in diagnosing the cause of this issue, and will be able to tell you if there is a workaround or fix for it. Let me know if you'd like to discuss getting a case created to investigate.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
DustinHobbs
Esri Contributor

Hi Håvard,

I would recommend trying the following if you haven't already contacted Esri Support Services.

1. Open an Administrative Command Prompt
  2. Change directories (cd) to the following location C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\tools\accountmanagement
  3. Run the CreateAdminAccount.bat. This will create a new admin account for Portal.
  4. Next I would connect to the Portal for ArcGIS Admin endpoint (portaladmin)
  5. Click on System
  6. Click on Indexer
  7. Click on Reindex
  8. Change the Mode to Full
  9. Click on the Reindex button.

This will Reindex the internal database built within Portal for ArcGIS. If you do this and it continues to fail then I would definitely reach out to Esri Support Services.

I hope this information helps.

HåvardMoe1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies. We have had a long-ish back-and-forth dialogue with ESRI support through our local reseller, and finally managed to resolve the issue.

As mentioned above, this is a testserver. The problem was that we installed Geocortex Essentials (GE) on the same testserver. That GE version (4.3) used the same port as Portal, so as a result Portal indexing got messed up. Once we disabled GE and reindexed, Portal works fine. (We did not catch on to the connection as all our testing after the installation of GE went into that and not Portal.)

I have been told that the latest GE version is fixed so that it does no longer interfere with Portal