Coordinate systems in Arc 10.1

06-15-2012 11:58 PM
RadekM
by
New Contributor
Hi!
Could anyone help me with finding location of a folder that contains geographic and projected coordinate systems in ArcGIS 10.1? i would like to add some coordinate systems but i cannot find folder with .prj files.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
i would like to add some coordinate systems but i cannot find folder with .prj files.

They've totally revamped this part of the software at 10.1. This is a good thing, the thousands of files to install really slowed down the install. I'm guessing they set up a database somewhere that replaces the Coordinate Systems folder.

You could either:

1) import the coordinate systems from a .prj file one by one and add them to your Favorites, or
2) Set up a connection in ArcCatalog to a folder you have with your custom .prj files.

If you want to set some standard coordinate systems up for your site, hopefully I'll get an answer to [thread=60147]my recent post[/thread] on this topic in the install/config forum.
0 Kudos
BrendanCollins
New Contributor II
When selecting a coordinate system from within ArcGIS, you can right-click and save / export the .prj file.
0 Kudos
RadekM
by
New Contributor
They've totally revamped this part of the software at 10.1. This is a good thing, the thousands of files to install really slowed down the install. I'm guessing they set up a database somewhere that replaces the Coordinate Systems folder.

You could either:

1) import the coordinate systems from a .prj file one by one and add them to your Favorites, or
2) Set up a connection in ArcCatalog to a folder you have with your custom .prj files.

If you want to set some standard coordinate systems up for your site, hopefully I'll get an answer to [thread=60147]my recent post[/thread] on this topic in the install/config forum.

Hi,
Thanks for your advices.
It however does not solve the problem.
I was looking for the 'Coordinate Systems' folder because the .prj files that were stored in this software were available for use in such a tools as 'Create Feature Class From XY Table' or 'Project' tool. Now I have a problem to specify my local system because it is not possible to use any coordinate system in those tools that is not provided by default with the software. At least I cannot find any solution.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hello,

If you already have a .prj file, add it to your Favorites location:

On XP,

C:\Documents and Settings\login\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcMap\Coordinate Systems

On Win7:

C:\Users\login\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.1\ArcMap\ Coordinate Systems

If you want to create a new coordinate system, click the globe icon at top right (to the left of the star icon). To modify an existing coordinate system, right click it in the directory listing and choose "Copy and Modify".

If you want to modify a .prj file in Notepad or some other editing tool, you'll have to add it to Favorites first which will write the definition to a file.

Melita
0 Kudos