Colorbrewer color palettes (not color ramps)

Jump to solution
05-28-2014 11:25 AM
ScottMoucka
New Contributor
I'm very interested in adding ColorBrewer colors into an ArcGIS .style file. I'm aware of the available color ramps and have already imported the style file. However, when I open up the ColorBrewer style file in the Style Manager only the 'Color Ramp' folder has contents and there's no way to access the individual colors without manually re-entering each and every one.

Is there a way to add colors, symbols, whatever it may be in an automated fashion? I'd like to bring all the ColorBrewer color swatches into a style file so they show up in the color palette when I open the 'Symbol Selector' in Arcmap.

It seems there's no real way to access the colors other than through Arc products, very frustrating! I've found a single post mentioning the ability to open a .style file in MS Access but this only allows you to rearrange or categorize the symbols. There's still no way to change or add actual colors as the field type is 'Large Binary Object' and seemingly untouchable.

Help please!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
If you open the relevant ColorBrewer palette/s and export the style you will then have the individual colours. You will need to add the 'Export Map Style' tool under the Customize setting.

Maybe make up a dummy grid dataset that you can add multiple colour ramps too to be able to export many at one time.

You will have to create individual styles but could then possibly merge them into one style.

Ensure you add a legend item to get individual colours as I did in the attached zip file.

Regards,

Craig

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
If you open the relevant ColorBrewer palette/s and export the style you will then have the individual colours. You will need to add the 'Export Map Style' tool under the Customize setting.

Maybe make up a dummy grid dataset that you can add multiple colour ramps too to be able to export many at one time.

You will have to create individual styles but could then possibly merge them into one style.

Ensure you add a legend item to get individual colours as I did in the attached zip file.

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos
ScottMoucka
New Contributor
That'll work for my purposes. Thanks, cpoynter!
0 Kudos