Cannot Add Attachments on Windows, but CAN from Linux

06-06-2022 12:21 PM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've got a real stumper here. Starting last week, any process that involved uploading a file to our Portal has been failing.

Primarily, this is a big issue for features that use attachments. But I found it was also coming up when doing simpler tasks like adding a new thumbnail to a group or content item. In the former, users got an error message that something "failed to fetch". In the latter, a generic 500 code.

This happens to users on different devices (desktop, laptop, mobile), using different programs (Survey123 web form, Survey123 app, REST endpoint, ArcGIS Pro), and in different web browsers (Chromium-based, Safari, Firefox).

I saw that our Server logs included corresponding messages about "multi-part requests", which led me to such posts as https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-api-for-silverlight-questions/fail-to-attach-file-to-feature-la... among others. But these are pretty old, and I'm not certain if they apply.

Here's where things get a little strange. I attempted to do some testing, and on my Linux computer, I do not experience any issues at all. That's right, every attempt to upload files from a Linux machine goes through perfectly fine.

I've already filed a ticket with Support, since not being able to upload files is a BIG problem for some of our departments' workflows, but that still leaves me with a question: any ideas why it works on Linux, but not on Windows?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Update!

iOS devices were also able to upload attachments just fine. Android, no.

After spending a good long while on the phone with support, we identified the issue on our Web Adaptor's IIS settings, and a quick restart of the IIS service corrected things.

Major props to Esri Support!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

PS - The root cause of it all was just lack of storage space on the web adaptor machine. I thought we had loads of space, but recent changes to the machine's logging caused the logs to balloon out much faster than anticipated.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos